Sick of 5g IPOD, need a descent mp3/video player
Nov 29, 2005 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

niksem

New Head-Fier
Well, I like the quality of IPOD, which is not bad compared other mp3 devices I had in the past, but small features like these make this device so annoying:

1) glitches been reported by many users; my unit, for example, cannot be used while connected to computer. It stays in "do not disconnect" mode forever while connected to computer

2) have to use Itunes, too complicated, just want to copy and paste my music into a file explorer folder

3) cant edit music titles/delete files when they are on IPOD

4) no support for WMV files, they have to be converted

5) Video quality is GOOD! However, u have to convert movies into special BS ipod standard to watch them...takes a long time. If a movie is 16:9 ratio it becomes distorted unless you use some special software to correct for that... too complicated

6) battery is non-replacable, has to be sent to Apple for that...
rolleyes.gif

7) Itunes is a headache!!!!!

Here is what I want:

1) sound quality
2) video feature
3) Non-Apple made

I kinda like this device but would go for something more compact:

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...ct=12985&nav=1

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by niksem
4) no support for WMV files, they have to be converted

Remember you're using an APPLE iPod Video, and WMV is a format owned by the people at MICROSOFT.
eek.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
Remember you're using an APPLE iPod Video, and WMV is a format owned by the people at MICROSOFT.
eek.gif

it is their job to figure out how things can be compatible, not mine. lol.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 55
iTunes is too complicated? I'm a completely idiot when it comes to technology and yet I find iTunes to be the easiest and most elegant software I've ever used!

As to the battery, I have recently changed it on my iPod with a third party product with no difficulty whatever. And it was a bargain to boot.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

2) have to use Itunes, too complicated, just want to copy and paste my music into a file explorer folder

How hard is it to just drag some songs onto a playlist?

Quote:

6) battery is non-replacable, has to be sent to Apple for that...
rolleyes.gif

Are you seriously concerned about a 5G's battery life when its only been like a month? Plus, ipods are known for their non-user replaceable battery, so perhaps you should have done a bit of research first?

Quote:

7) Itunes is a headache!!!!!

Oh c'mon...it's like the easiest thing to use but it can get a bit tricky with some smart playlists and that's probably about it.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

3) cant edit music titles/delete files when they are on IPOD

Do you mean when the iPod is disconnected or when it is in iTunes? If the latter (and not many players edit titles in the former) it's as easy as when you edit your computer music files. There's really no difference.

The iPod may not be for you, but I suggest you give it more a chance first (especially iTunes).

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 55
as far as Itunes go, I want to have mutiple ways of doing things. I just want to be able to drag music files without using any additional software, I think it is easy for apple to do if they wanted to. I mean what if I want to download music from my IPOD to a computer that does not have itunes (and no internet connection)..... heck I cant download music from my IPOD to a new computer even if I have Itunes, they removed that feature, you have to use 3rd party software...

Anyhow, files should be accessible via multiple ways... I do not like to be forced into doing things only one single way.

Also, the only reason why Itunes is being forced on the end-user is the mp3 sales gig.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

as far as Itunes go, I want to have mutiple ways of doing things. I just want to be able to drag music files without using any additional software, I think it is easy for apple to do if they wanted to. I mean what if I want to download music from my IPOD to a computer that does not have itunes (and no internet connection)..... heck I cant download music from my IPOD to a new computer even if I have Itunes, they removed that feature, you have to use 3rd party software...

Anyhow, files should be accessible via multiple ways... I do not like to be forced into doing things only one single way.

Also, the only reason why Itunes is being forced on the end-user is the mp3 sales gig.

Sounds like an X5 is more for you then.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 55
Do a SEARCH for what you are looking for, there are plenty of posts that have been made that discuss exactly what you are looking for. Also read the user manual that came with your mp3 player.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

1) glitches been reported by many users; my unit, for example, cannot be used while connected to computer. It stays in "do not disconnect" mode forever while connected to computer

All MP3 players work this way! When you connect an MP3 player to the USB port of a computer, the mp3 player goes into a data mode (and on some mp3 players recharge while connected to the USB port.) You wont be able to use the MP3 player until the mp3 player is disconnected from the computer's usb.

If your mp3 player remains in this USB DATA MODE displaying "Do not Disconnect" on the screen, and the player is disconnected from the computer, then there might be something wrong with your mp3 player.

If you want an mp3/video player alternative to the Ipod there are not really that many QUALITY choices other than iRiver, iAudio/JetAudio/Cowon, Archos, and the new Creative players.

But for what you want...
Quote:

Here is what I want:
1) sound quality
2) video feature
3) Non-Apple made

Check out www.cowonamerica.com
iAudio X5 player or the iAUDIO U3 players (they are UMS compatible players - you don't need software to load these players,)

www.iriveramerica.com
u10 player (ums compatible also.)

www.creative.com
Zen Vision, and the older Zen Portable Media Center (are the only creative players that have video playback capability.)

Out of all of the above players the Zen Vision is the only one that has a removeable battery (and maybe some Archos players.)

The MP3 players that are available are not perfect, and some lack features that others have.

The IPOD (5th Gen) is a good player, the iAudio X5 will come close to it.

Other than that, Happy SEARCHING!

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 55
^^^

yep, but my problem is that after couple mins of sync, it is supposed to go into normal mode while charging. My friend's 30gb ipod does that.

X5 is only 2Gb... U10 is 1gb. Right now i already have about 4.5 gb on my IPOD... thats after 1.5 weeks of use.

yeah, I am sucker for search.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

^^^

yep, but my problem is that after couple mins of sync, it is supposed to go into normal mode while charging. My friend's 30gb ipod does that.

X5 is only 2Gb... U10 is 1gb. Right now i already have about 4.5 gb on my IPOD... thats after 1.5 weeks of use.

yeah, I am sucker for search.

Is it set to manual sync?

How is X5 only 2gb? They are in 20Gb/30GB....maybe even 60 now, I don't remember.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 55
I have both the 5G iPod and the Gmini 402 at the moment. I happen to like itunes quite a bit, but the 400/402 fits the description of the player that you're looking for.

Out of SR60s, they both sound about the same to me, which is great. Actually, they sound so similar that I can only conjecture as to the differences in sound. My perception is that the 402 has a slightly more upfront sound while the iPod sounds maybe a bit airier...I think.
smily_headphones1.gif
That said, I think the iPod is the better music player because it is easier and faster to navigate due to the clickwheel versus the directional pad on the 402. The 402 is actually pretty easy to navigate as well, but it does take a lot longer to scroll through songs/artists/etc.

The iPod definitely has a better, bigger, and higher resolution screen, but I feel that Apple didn't exploit it as much as they could have. For live-action video, as hard as it is to believe, videos on the 402 were actually much clearer than the iPod. Live-action videos on the iPod are a bit blurry, and they also have this brownish tint that makes everything look a bit drab. It was pretty amazing to find just how much clearer things looked on the 402 even though the iPod has the better screen. One big negative of the 402 is that it has horrible viewing angles, but I would still rather watch live-action videos on the gmini than on the iPod. However, the iPod has a huge advantage when it comes to cartoons. The blurriness actually makes cartoons look better with bigger and bolder lines. On the balance, I'd take the gmini for video. Although it supposedly lasts only 10 hours for music, it does last an admirable 5 hours for video. Video on the iPod is supposed to last 2 hours, but I watched an episode of Lost, and battery life was almost gone. Furthermore, the gmini accepts the divx and xvid format. Finally, the gmini comes with everything necessary to output to a tv, while you have to spend an additional $20 for the output cable for the iPod plus maybe another $30 for the power adapter since you probably wouldn't be able to watch a full movie on the iPod using its battery alone.

Both players are basically a wash when it comes to music playback. The Gmini has drag-n-drop, easy playlisting, deleting. The iPod has 10gb more space and faster navigation. For video, it depends on how you're going to use it. If you intend to watch a couple of episodes of The Simpsons or Family Guy and just on the unit itself, then stick with the iPod. If you're looking to watch shows like Lost or Arrested Development or full-length videos, then go with the gmini. If you want to watch most of your stuff on tv, whether animated or live-action, go with the gmini.

Note: Just noticed that some people are recommending the X5. I had it twice and can't recommend it. First, a lot of people love the sound quality, but it irritated me after a while becaused of the recessed mids. Second, video is not that great because of its small screen, low resolution, and is limited to 15 fps while videos on the gmini run at 30 fps. Third, the joystick. Man, I hated that joystick. That thing is bound to bust. Fourth, no id3. The gmini does both id3 and file browsing. The only advantage the X5 has is that it has a radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back