Shuttle XPC's Good For Audiophiles?
Sep 12, 2006 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DoYouRight

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey,
So anyway. Im building a new computer and Im curious if its good for not making disturbance or anything with music. And how good is this onboard sound? Here is the shuttle Im getting.

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN27P2.asp

Shuttles for those of you who dont know are small form factor cases that come with psu and motherboard.

And I think im getting a HEADFIVE so should I get an X-fi (im not so sure anymore), the emu 0404 (or 1212 help me out), or that chaintech card the av710 which people use and like but I dont know about chaintech? Maybe Im wrong. But thanks.

Also the shuttle only has 2 pci slots. One will be a nvidia video card and the other the sound card. So I can only use one. I play FPS games, music of course, watch anime, and dvds. Thanks

Sep 12, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 12
I have a Shuttle and have built several audio PCs over the years. First, on-board sound generally sucks. Avoid it if at all possible.

An external USB soundcard, ideally with its own power supply, will give you better results. My RME digi-PAD (around $400) was grossly inferior to my Apogee Mini-DAC with USB input.

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Standard audio on my Shuttle(s) is not good so I've got an Emu0404 fitted and am playing around with an Airport Express too.

I certainly did not like the sound using usb connections (microamps etc) even after shelling out for the USBASIO driver (around EUR50), it was still to hissy/crackilng. Perhaps the compactness of the Shuttle goes against it for quality audio.

Steve

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 12
My shuttle has onboard optical out
blink.gif

I have not listened to it, though, as it is only a FTP server for me.

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 12
well take a gander at the specs or features on the link i gave. but anyway. 0404 or 1212 or the new revo card? ill buy what people say is best i dont know enough about how all this **** works i just like what sounds good. after i start to get more **** ill figure out what this or that means tech specwise to know. but i just want the buttsecks sound with the headphones and amp i plan on gettin.

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 12
If relatively small size is not your priority then I don't think a Shuttle is necessarily the quietest.

If you get a case, quiet PSU (like Seasonic), graphics card w/o fan or with aftermarket HSF, quiet CPU HSF, and replace the stock case fans with quieter ones, that would be pretty nice right there. And it could double very well as a "normal" or even gaming computer.

Sep 13, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 12
I know a thing or two about Shuttles, currently owning a SN25P and SN26P. The latter of which is running two nVidia 7800GTX's in SLI. Noise has never been an issue, and I get acceptable temps.

As far as the onboard sound goes, it's merely passable at best. Although, IMO, all onboard solutions are only passable. It was acceptable for gaming, and most music, but I decided I wanted a little more. I bought some Beyer DT 770's and an Aria, and now I won't go back... you can't make me...

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Shuttles are damn loud. Every model I've seen sounds like a jet engine, when the CPU is being stressed.

Not when you've modded it. Mine's whisper quiet.

Has had the psu fan replaced, a quieter/better cpu fan and uses a fanless graphics card.

Keep meaning to do the same to the other family shuttle too.

Was into building and modding my own pc's way befoe head-if (even before pentiums
eek.gif
).

Steve

Sep 14, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 12
By "whisper quiet", what db level are we talking about? I ask, because I've found many people's "quiet" to be annoyingly loud
tongue.gif

My Shuttle hasn't been turned on in a few months, partly because I just can't stand the noise...

Sep 15, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 12
My XPC shuttle is perfect. I have an X-fi and modded the powersupply fan with an adda fan hyprobearing fan and removed the chipset fan to put in a larger heatsink. It's truly whisper quiet with the ICE fan set at 810rpms and a Samsung P series hard drive. You have to get the P series for the drive to be really quiet.

It's perfect for what i need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back