Shuttle SN25P onboard audio same as AV-710?
Jun 24, 2005 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mexicorn

New Head-Fier
Been out of the audio loop for a while, but while i was researching a small form factor computer purchase I cam across something that reminded me of this forum.

The shuttle SN25P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property
has been my top choice for a barebones system to start building my computer, hwoever the lack of a PCI port to replace its onboard audio was holding me back at first. However, while reading through its specs I saw that the onboard audio had a very familiar name: VIA Envy24PT. Upon further research, I found it that it also has the same Wolfson WM8728 DAC for channels 7/8, just like the chaintech. Has anyone had any experience with this system? It seems like they basically put an av-710 right on the board!

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 4
Yup, that's quite a nice mini-barebone - and yes, the audio is fairly good for onboard hardware.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 4
You might go ask the guys at the N-Force forums:

NForce HQ Forums

I have an n-force 2 mobo, but I can't get the digital out to put out anything other than 48. Hopfully you can get that nf-4 board to kick out 44.1 when playing cds...

-Dan

Jun 25, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc
Hopfully you can get that nf-4 board to kick out 44.1 when playing cds...

Yes, one can - both 44.1 and 48 kHz work on in- and output. Also nice: It sports both toslink and coax s/p-dif out. In addition, the construction is fairly good and noise level is ok, too, despite quite a few fans being used. I'm not so sure, whether I really like those metal reinforced plastic rails for hdd mounting, though - and the case is also a bit bulkier than most other mini-barebones. Looks-wise I prefer other XPCs like the SN95G5/SB83G5/ST20G5, though SN25P doesn't look bad, either.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back