Shure's Base Model Lacks Bass
Feb 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HeadphonesCom

Member of the Trade: Headphones.com
A review of the SRH240A
The Shure SRH240A (a revised version of the SRH240) is a good choice for those not looking to spend a fortune, but demand to hear detail.  They are the base model of Shure’s full-size headphone line.  I do have some qualms about the design and ultimately, I have some reservations regarding studio application – a field in which Shure has excelled for years with both their microphones and in ear monitors.

THE FIT & THE FINISH
The SRH240A are circumaural in design which means that the earcups are intended to encompass the ear, rather than rest on them.  The soft pleather material, while a little cheap in feeling, is quite comfortable.  The headband too is covered in this pleather material.  The headband does not clamp with too much force and therefore I easily could see myself wearing these headphones for long sessions. However, the problem I find about the headband is that the plastic is easily breakable where the earcup connects.  In fact, one of my customers sent back this headphone with this part broken off (twice!).  So needless to say, the SRH240A does not win any durability awards from me.  The cable is thinner than most at this headphone size and this adds to the portability factor. Being that this headphone is designed with studio monitoring in mind, the headphone does not feature a microphone or Apple remote.  However, I feel that the build quality may be too fragile for most studio applications.

The SRH240A’s cable is terminated to an 3.5 mm plug (good for portable use), but it does ship with a ¼ inch adapter (good for studio use).  It does not come with any carrying case.  The hard cardboard packaging is where the headphones would ultimately need to be stored, unless you pick up a 3rd party carrying case.

ALL ABOUT THE SOUND…
Traditionally, a good monitoring headphone will possess a close to neutral tonal balance, be fairly easy to drive, and be close to leakage-free.  That’s pretty much what you get with the SRH240A.  For its price, it does what I believe it was intended to do fairly well.  It is most definitely rolled off in the bass.  The extension just isn’t there and I would not personally find myself using it in a studio setting simply for this reason.  The midrange exhibits a bit of forwardness in the vocal region, but overall the tone is hardly natural to my ears.  I may find that a vocalist would benefit from using these during a recording, but I may not opt for them simply because there are superior options available such as the Sennheiser HD280Pro or Shure’s own SRH440.

Out of the iPhone, the SRH240A sound far more detailed than your average 60 dollar headphone, but overall a bit cold and reserved.  I took a listen to Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably numb” and while all the instrumentation was very clear, I felt little connection with the music.  There’s a lacking of visceral impact that just makes the SRH240A not very compelling for what I feel one would look for in everyday music listening. 

They do however sound much better suited for classical music than they do for rock music.  Considering that closed back designs typically narrow a soundstage, the SRH240A has one of the larger soundstages I’ve heard of closed back headphones at its pricepoint.  The forward midrange brings violins and pianos forward in a very pleasant way.  Listening to Colin Davis’ brilliant interpretation of Berlioz’s Harold en Italie with the LSO, I was surprisingly thrilled by the SRH240A’s rendering of the oboe and viola.  It sounded much better than I had anticipated.  Open and airy, even though still lacking transparency.

The SRH240A may be best suited for monitoring speech and dictation since there is a clear emphasis in the vocal region.  For this type of application, the SRH240A receive my highest recommendation!

LAST WORD
The Sound of the SRH240A is probably not going appeal to most music listeners.  It is a very colored headphone, exhibiting a clear emphasis in the mids, and lacking a lot of bass. It’s therefore headphone I reserve to recommend in most cases.  Even in studio application, I’m not sure that the build quality can withstand standard use for very long.  Shure has better efforts for sure.  But again, if you are careful with your headphones and looking for something that zooms in on the human voice, these headphones are one I do recommend at its price.

Rating Chart @ Pricepoint
Sound Quality: 6.5 (lacking bass)
Design & Features: 5
Comfort: 8.5
Portability: 7
Isolation: 6 (passive)
Value: 6

-DavidMahler

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the review! These are oft-forgotten on Head-Fi other than complaining that Monster stole the design for Beats Solos from the original SRH240.

I may be picking up a new principal portable soon...

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Thats probably not the sound im looking for, i'll consider the 440's instead. 
thanks for the review! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back