Shure Yellow Foamies on Westone 3's
Aug 7, 2009 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GabeJacobs

New Head-Fier
Has anyone tried putting Shure's yellow foam tips/sleeves on the Westone 3's.
I just tried and it was a little hard to get them on... now I can't get them off
angry_face.gif

The sound is great, but am I screwed? Has anyone successfully tried this? Are these tips supposed to be compatible or am I just really stupid for trying it?

Oh and here is the link for the yellow foamies http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shp...hannelid=BIZRA

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Yup, you're screwed. It will be impossible to remove the foamies, and if you return them to Westone, they're guaranteed to confiscate them since you attached a Shure product. You can count on being fined by Westone if you're lucky, but probably you'll get fined by both companies for mixing their products.

Just kidding. Those foamies can be a real pain to get off. As someone who has used them before, I know it can be a little scary, since you don't want to apply too much pressure and break the tube that they're stuck too, while at the same time, it seems that anything less than an extraordinary amount of pressure can't force them off.

I always had to resort to my teeth. If you want a more hygienic and possibly more technical answer, you could always use a small pair of computer pliers if you can find some, or if you have a maintenance kit for eyeglasses that would help too.

As you probably know, the key will be gradual but constant force. If you feel like the tube is starting to give way, then stop and let it cool down for a bit, then try again. Good luck.

Hopefully someone on these forums can provide you with some more help.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, you're screwed. It will be impossible to remove the foamies, and if you return them to Westone, they're guaranteed to confiscate them since you attached a Shure product. You can count on being fined by Westone if you're lucky, but probably you'll get fined by both companies for mixing their products.

Just kidding. Those foamies can be a real pain to get off. As someone who has used them before, I know it can be a little scary, since you don't want to apply too much pressure and break the tube that they're stuck too, while at the same time, it seems that anything less than an extraordinary amount of pressure can't force them off.

I always had to resort to my teeth. If you want a more hygienic and possibly more technical answer, you could always use a small pair of computer pliers if you can find some, or if you have a maintenance kit for eyeglasses that would help too.

As you probably know, the key will be gradual but constant force. If you feel like the tube is starting to give way, then stop and let it cool down for a bit, then try again. Good luck.

Hopefully someone on these forums can provide you with some more help.

Haha, you almost got me there for a second. Do you know if shure's tubes are infact smaller than westone's or is it just that the foam is really tough to get on and off both phones.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GabeJacobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, you almost got me there for a second. Do you know if shure's tubes are infact smaller than westone's or is it just that the foam is really tough to get on and off both phones.

Honestly I can't provide a comparison between the size of the two tubes. I can honestly say that removing the yellow foamies can be a real ***** though, so don't get worried if you're finding it extremely hard. Gradually increasing, constant pressure should do it. You got them on there in the first place, so you should be able to get them off, as long as you're polite about it.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 8
I haven't tried Shure's yellow foams, but their silicons, olives, and triple flange sleeves all work fine on the W3. I haven't had anything stick yet, but on those tougher than normal occasions, I twist - not pull. Also, I use a shirt to grip the foams. I read somewhere putting them in the freezer for a short time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back