Shure Yellow Foamies- lifespan?
Dec 13, 2008 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering buying a pack of these just to try out but they are still quite expensive (16 quid on Amazon UK for ten pairs). I klnow its meant to be short, certainly comparably to the olives, but what is the lifespan of a set of these on average, for heavy use? Less than a week and I'll swerve em at that price, but a week-2 weeks and i'll probably get em to samle them.

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Everyone is a little different with earwax, whether you are exercising with them, etc.

I thought that the yellow's lifespan was still about 60-70% of what an olive is.

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone is a little different with earwax, whether you are exercising with them, etc.

I thought that the yellow's lifespan was still about 60-70% of what an olive is.

I didn't state it but yeah I'm aware that lifespan depends on ear wax production levels per individual and under what conditions they are used, such as excerising (which would probably class as heavy duty). Still, if you approximate them as at about 60-70% of olives that's pretty encouraging! However, just realised they cost over 20 GBP, whether you buy em through Amazon or directly from Advancedmp3players.co.uk. So I'm gona mull over the prospective purchase a lil more.
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Honestly - I found that the yellow foamies lifespan was maybe closer to 10% of the black foamies... The yellow ones will be usable but definitely start to deteriorate (probably took them in/out too much, especially after exercise). the pair of black ones I had never really wore out - or even really showed any wear on them.

Any particular reason you're thinking the yellow over the black?

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Ive been using them quite a bit on my er4's and used them a lot when i had my e3c's and i could get about 2/3 weeks out of them.
I do find that i can wash them once,i use warm water with a bit of soap in it,let them dry and they are good to go but not more than one wash.
So yeah id say they are worth it,i get 10 pairs when i go to london occasionally and they last me ages.
Better than comply and better than shure black foam too,the isolation is incredible and they make phones sound honest and true.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dong146 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly - I found that the yellow foamies lifespan was maybe closer to 10% of the black foamies... The yellow ones will be usable but definitely start to deteriorate (probably took them in/out too much, especially after exercise). the pair of black ones I had never really wore out - or even really showed any wear on them.

Any particular reason you're thinking the yellow over the black?

Well, though I plan to start up a gym membership soon, my finances (buying expensive foamies instead
tongue.gif
) and the decadence of this time of year probably indicate it'd make sense and be feasible both for me to seriously consider purchase of that in the New Year! So, initially, at least, these aren't gona be used when exercising (unless I decide to go on runs). Is it the sweat of exercise that makes foams used at those times deteriorate quicker? What's the science behind that?

As far as why I'm looking at the yellow over the olives is that I'm goin through a little period of experimenting with various variants that can affect SQ and sonic character and/or presentation, in my portable set-ups. I have, still, due to extended returns parameters at this time of year, an array of 6 DAPs I've been and am still trialing and side-testing with a view to purchasing at least one of them. I have also aquired a set of Klipsch Custom 2's on the cheap from Amazon UK (49.99 GBP marked down from 106 GBP) which tickled my experimental vein out into headphones and their tips, also. Well this purchase coupled with the fact I lost an UE's double-flange tip and had to experiment somewhat with alternatives whilst I debated and the ordered in a replacement batch of those dual-flange silicones. This has just led me to a point where I'm curious and interested in trying out various different tips with the 3 IEM's I own; the Sleek SA6, UE's TF and the Shure SE530's. I have about 6 or 7 pairs of olives as a result of buying a 5 pack and then recieving 2 pairs bundled with the SE530's I aquired. So I have them already. The yellow foams were not bundled and were another option out there I just wanted to sample, really (I know tsarn06 for one has an affinity for them). I am also debating ordering some complys- T-400's and/or T-100's- so I can undergo this little project with most of the options for those 3 different IEM's present. The cost adds up though.
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive been using them quite a bit on my er4's and used them a lot when i had my e3c's and i could get about 2/3 weeks out of them.
I do find that i can wash them once,i use warm water with a bit of soap in it,let them dry and they are good to go but not more than one wash.
So yeah id say they are worth it,i get 10 pairs when i go to london occasionally and they last me ages.
Better than comply and better than shure black foam too,the isolation is incredible and they make phones sound honest and true.

Thanks for offering your thoughts and experience with this tip variant!

What you say is encouraging, especially as I am unlikely at present to be using them during workouts and/or exercise.

I've now ordered anyway so it doesn't matter
biggrin.gif
. I'll try em for mself and see what they provide....

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for offering your thoughts and experience with this tip variant!

What you say is encouraging, especially as I am unlikely at present to be using them during workouts and/or exercise.

I've now ordered anyway so it doesn't matter
biggrin.gif
. I'll try em for mself and see what they provide....

My pleasure dude.
You'll love em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back