SHURE Vs. ULTIMATE EARS ???
Jan 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Myotis

New Head-Fier
Dear Folks,
my first post here so please be kind to me
ph34r.gif

I'm getting myself a D2 and a hi-quality pair of earphones.
Need your opinion about which brand/model I should choose.
I'm giving you all the prices in USD too (+ impedance):

Shure SE210: $ 97 (impedance: 26)
Shure SE310: $ 165 (imped. 28)

I'd prefer the latter (being a little more "bassy") since I've heard the Shure generally tend to have a very clean, "crystal-like" sounding.
So, clear sound, great mids, + a little bit of extra punch in the bass would be great for me.

As for the U.E: I've heard they're more towards the upper and low end, so a little bit - mids and + hi and low freq.
Do you agree with that?

Prices + impedance:

super.fi 3 Studio : $ 75 (imped. 13 Ohms (at 1Khz)
Super.fi 4 : $ 90 (imped. 29 ohms)
Super.fi 5: $ 133 (Imped.13 Ohms (at 1Khz)
Super.fi 5 EB (extra bass?) $ 135 (imped.11 Ohms)
super.fi 5Pro: $ 165 (Impedance 21 Ohms)

The final question is:
ph34r.gif

should I consider UE instead of the SE310 or 210?
If yes, which model (also consider prices + impedance for the D2, the Cowon has an impedance of 16 ohms)
Consider I would like a well-balanced sound, not too bright and not too "dark", but a good twist in the bottom end would be appreciated
L3000.gif

that's it.....hope you can help me out.
Thank You
and cheers....
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 23
I would recommend the 5pro more than the SE310 if you are looking for more low-end punch. The 5pro is dual driver and offer slightly more bass than the SE310. You also get the added frills of being able to replace the cables. The Shures are more comfortable though.

The EB's bass may be too much for some people.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 23
I would recommend you super fi 5 pro. It simply has the punchy bass shure can't offer(not even close on se310) Don't think about the EB, worst fit EVER and not balanced at all.

when se310 compares to 5 pro, 5 pro is more energetic, exciting while shure offers a more refined sound.

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet. Trust me, pick up whichever is fine, because some day, not far from now, you will get the others.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Wang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet. Trust me, pick up whichever is fine, because some day, not far from now, you will get the others.

LOL, so true.

if you can afford it id suggest going for either the se530 or tfi 10, cuts out the middle ones then upgrading (of those 2 id say go for the 530)

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 23
I suggest something that you don't even has as a option the Phonak's, anythingbutipod.com they won the editors choice over every single headphone listed here and there 139
biggrin.gif
go to the forum click the headphone section look at Martins spreadsheet they win over every headphone stated here even the Shure530's.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 23
Its hard to compare UE super fi to any other company cause the fit is so radically disfferent. The UE's stick out and the sure are flush. I have the super fi 5 pro with a westone cable they are great sounding phones, a real bang for your buck. On the other hand you have the Shure's i have the 530's so i cant comment on the 310's. I would however recommend saving some extra cash and moving up to the se 530's or the triple fi's. If not the super fi 5 is a solid set of phones when recabled.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by illini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its hard to compare UE super fi to any other company cause the fit is so radically disfferent. The UE's stick out and the sure are flush. I have the super fi 5 pro with a westone cable they are great sounding phones, a real bang for your buck. On the other hand you have the Shure's i have the 530's so i cant comment on the 310's. I would however recommend saving some extra cash and moving up to the se 530's or the triple fi's. If not the super fi 5 is a solid set of phones when recabled.

how can i re- cable mine? please let me know thanks in advance

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't expect to get so much feedback from you.
Thanks.
regular_smile .gif

As long as you get feedback from us and not your IEMs you'll do alright.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back