Shure vs Etymotic vs Ripoff
Jun 28, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephJFK
If like me, you're looking for portable earphones to complement a bulkier at-home setup, then I think you should consider the durability factor. The Shures have a very tough build with thick wires, a great 2 year warranty (contrasted with 90 days for etymotic) and a neat case. Etymotics have skinny little wires like the cheap sonys.

That's wrong, the Ety's have a ONE YEAR warranty if you register the headphones on their web site.

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #17 of 22
Was not aware of that, thanks for the update. Partially, but not in my opinion significantly, addresses what I was getting at however, though worth note if that tips the scale for you.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #18 of 22
Everything thats been said here is really helping me in my search, and I need to thank you guys again.

I've been looking a lot more closely at the e3c's and I'm pretty much ready to lay down my wallet for a pair, but I just have a question or two left that I thought might be best answered by people who own the phones.
I just wanted to check how effective the isolation is (and in comparison to the er6i) , and whether or not there is much (if any) leak that is audible to people sitting next to you.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwartz
Everything thats been said here is really helping me in my search, and I need to thank you guys again.

I've been looking a lot more closely at the e3c's and I'm pretty much ready to lay down my wallet for a pair, but I just have a question or two left that I thought might be best answered by people who own the phones.
I just wanted to check how effective the isolation is (and in comparison to the er6i) , and whether or not there is much (if any) leak that is audible to people sitting next to you.

Isolation will depend a bit on the tips you use, but all of them will give you a pretty good amount of isolation. Enough so that, when listening to music at a normal volume, you won't be able to hear much of anything going on around you. Without music on, it's only slightly less isolation than earplugs, IME.
Music should not be audible to anyone around you. I imagine that if you could turn it up loud enough for that, you would have permanent hearing damage pretty quickly.

BTW - I think the e3c's are a good choice.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 22
Well I was in the same market. I got my E2Cs form Canada for $110 shipped. I went from Canada so no duty for me and it has faster shipping and I don't have to ship it very far for warrenty. The cheapet I found is $93 canadian shipped. But plus duty I just went with the Canadian one because I wanted them fast. Anyway I went with the E2c because of the price factor. Cheaper. I mainly didn't go with ER-6i because of the filters and flimsy cord. Even though I head it sounds better it has less bass. And less bass + iPod which doesn't have much bass anyway is not too good. If I get the er-6i I would have to get an amp or something for more bass. A song sounds odd when it si lacking bass too much. I don't know how much a difference there is between the two but I will eventually upgrade to the e4c or e5c eventually anyway.

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #21 of 22
Well guys i put in my order for a pair of e3's for $140 USD shipped. I know its not the best price around, but it is 2nd day shipping to canada included, and that was the only option avaliable.

This forum is definately a place I'll be hanging around in the future. You guys speak with experience and expertise and I still can't believe how fast some of you responded. Look forward to learning more on these boards.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwartz
This forum is definately a place I'll be hanging around in the future.

Uh oh. Did anyone ever give you the proper greeting?

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

This looks like another job well done for us head-fiers. You had it narrowed down to 4 headphones, the most expensive of which was ~$80, and 8 posts later you're walking away $140 lighter.
wink.gif

Maybe if you stick around long enough, schwartz, you can help us do it to someone else! Of course by then you'll already have spent $1000 on head-fi gear
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back