Shure vs Etymotic vs Ripoff
Jun 27, 2005 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

schwartz

New Head-Fier
Just want to start out by apologizing, because I can only imagine how many of these sorts of threads have been started, but I've been having some troubles deciding on a set of phones for my zen micro. Through what I've read here, and my price range, I've narrowed it down to 4 sets.

1) Shure E2's
2)Etymotic ER6
3)Etymotic ER6i
4) Koss - The Plug w/ Etymotic rubber http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...784269355&rd=1

Just wondering if you guys could give a suggestion, as you all definatley are much more well informed on this than I. Thanks.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 22
4) unless you like the sound of koss plugs and know that you'll be comfortable with triflanges, I suggest staying away from these especially if you've got the dough for 1-3.

If you just want fantastic isolation and something with fun bass, I'd suggest getting the e2/e2cs.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 22
I like the build qualiy and warentty of the Shure e2's better then the er6i's but between the two of them I think the er6i's sound better. There should be a ton of posts about the two of them. Do a search and you can get an idea about what other people think too.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 22
I have the e2c's and like them. I would reccomend them over the Ety's ( I have not tried them but I think the general consensus isthe the SHure's have more bass and are more fun)
The SHure e3c can be found for as low as $112, so they might also be in your price range.
thebrain

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 22
I don't think the e2cs are more fun, unless you find sloppy, nearly one-note bass and virtually nonexistent highs fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not completely biased against shures, I like the e4cs, so don't kill me!
Also I'd pick the ER-6is out of that list.

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 22
I'll try and use some sort of analogy between the er6 and e2c that could be understood.

think of a cake(which is the sound) and the way these two headphones present said cake.

e2c: big cake, not too much detail in the icing on top but very presentable none the less. It is just presented with no fangled bells and what not. Has a rather nice low end (in it's class) and depending on the source has the potential to either be a thin sounding squawk box or a thunderous cannonblast (obviously not as much as say the sf5eb) in your ears.

er6: small cake, nice detail in the icing and those silvery sugar things that make it look fancy. While the cake tastes nice and looks rather nice, those silvery sugar drop things (which is the sibilance) can have a knack for catchin you off guard, so unless you know how to present the cake well you may not like it. The bass of it isn't very big either, so unless you know how to add some more icing to the bass it's gonna sound fairly small and thin.

so in closing, the e2c just presents almost a bare cake, while the er6 presents a smaller cake but it looks prettier.... does this make any sense? (it's been an INCREDIBLY long day for me so thats my excuse for posting something incoherent). If you want more lower end without too much detail get the e2c's if u want a thinner sounding earphone that has really good detail get the er6. Both earphones have a bit of a learning curve on how to fit em comfortably

And for those of you who haven't looked at my sig yet YES I HAVE OWNED BOTH.

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 22
That makes sense, and I have owned both of those too. I'm not a basshead most of the time, but even I have my limits, and the 6s pushed it sometimes. I just couldn't stand missing the details.

The 6is are much better as far as bass is concerned, though.

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 22
I've owned the er6i's and the e2c's, and I thought the er6i's had a more high-quality sound. They do need a good bass-boost, though, IMO.

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 22
I want my cake and eat it, too!
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 22
Do those of you with the ER6is use an EQ to improve the bass? Or do you prefer to turn the EQ off? I ask this because alot of people (including me) like to use EQs to get the sound the way they like it. Maybe the bass would be better if it was boosted or put throgh a cmoy or something similar.

I own E2cs and think that they are great canalphones to start off with. They have great isolation and after you get used to the tips they are super comfy. They can also be had for as low as $65.

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nights_85
I'll try and use some sort of analogy between the er6 and e2c that could be understood.

think of a cake(which is the sound) and the way these two headphones present said cake.

e2c: big cake, not too much detail in the icing on top but very presentable none the less. It is just presented with no fangled bells and what not. Has a rather nice low end (in it's class) and depending on the source has the potential to either be a thin sounding squawk box or a thunderous cannonblast (obviously not as much as say the sf5eb) in your ears.

er6: small cake, nice detail in the icing and those silvery sugar things that make it look fancy. While the cake tastes nice and looks rather nice, those silvery sugar drop things (which is the sibilance) can have a knack for catchin you off guard, so unless you know how to present the cake well you may not like it. The bass of it isn't very big either, so unless you know how to add some more icing to the bass it's gonna sound fairly small and thin.

so in closing, the e2c just presents almost a bare cake, while the er6 presents a smaller cake but it looks prettier.... does this make any sense? (it's been an INCREDIBLY long day for me so thats my excuse for posting something incoherent). If you want more lower end without too much detail get the e2c's if u want a thinner sounding earphone that has really good detail get the er6. Both earphones have a bit of a learning curve on how to fit em comfortably

And for those of you who haven't looked at my sig yet YES I HAVE OWNED BOTH.

haha great analogy, but whats a RS1 or 650, an enormous cake with smaller detailed cakes on top? (perhaps filet mignon?)

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 22
I've had the 6i's since they came out, and I've been using them with
both a minidisc player, and a Karma.

I've tried eqing them a few times, but usually listen to them flat. They bass
doesn't need any help (unless you don't have them inserted correctly).

I mainly played with neutralizing the sound based off the FR graph on the
etymotic website. It was more of an experiment, but it didn't do anything
to improve the sound.

good luck
-Jeff

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
haha great analogy, but whats a RS1 or 650, an enormous cake with smaller detailed cakes on top? (perhaps filet mignon?)

yes something like that actually!
RS1 i was thinking exquisite designs on the icing (think tibetan mandalas) while the 650 could have a layer of syrup over that to sweeten it even more
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 22
I was trying to choose between Shure and Etymotic recently and found myself simiilarly conflicted. Ultimately I chose Shure (and I'm very happy)--here's why.

First off, a comparison between the e2c and the ER6/ER6i is unfair. At this point, if you go on Amazon, you'll see that the e3c is priced to compete with the ER6, and while I've never heard the e2c, I've gotten the distinct impression that it is considerably worse than its bigger brother, so I'd recommend comparing the e3c and the ER6i

Second, while the difference between the e3 and the e3c is purely cosmetic (c version has white buds to match iPods), the difference between the ER6i and the ER6 is substantive. The "i" version has far less impedence, so that an iPod is able to power the headphones without an extra amp, which is what most portable users want. This creates the impression of having more bass, though properly powered, the higher impedence ER6 (or the e3c for that matter), should have at least as much bass.

This leads me to what I think is the most important question: What do you want these for? If you're shopping for great headphones to sit in your living room with a good source and amp, then get the ER6. However, they'll sound pretty bad just plugged into an iPod because they'll be underpowered. I've found that the e3c is a good compromise on this issue, because they sound good when I'm walking around (and usually am not too critically focusing on the music, which is compressed anyhow), but sounds considerably better on a bus ride when I can throw a portable amp into the mix. I've seen a lot of people complain about the e3c's bass, but they haven't tried plugging it into a portable amp--it makes a big difference on the low end. (btw, as far as high end goes, the e3c takes abotu 20 hours for the high end to "break-in", give them a chance).

If like me, you're looking for portable earphones to complement a bulkier at-home setup, then I think you should consider the durability factor. The Shures have a very tough build with thick wires, a great 2 year warranty (contrasted with 90 days for etymotic) and a neat case. Etymotics have skinny little wires like the cheap sonys. Doesn't mean they don't sound great, but broken headphones don't sound like much at all. Shures and Etymotics both sound good, but if you're looking for portable earphones, then consider whether your criteria should be the same as for at-home headphones. I've been very happy with the Shures, hope I've been helpful.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back