shure vs. etymotic tri-flanges
Feb 1, 2006 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Lat

New Head-Fier
i just bought a pair of westone um1s, and i'm looking to get some tri-flange tips for them (gonna do the cut off part of stalk + maybe cut off smallest flange mod)

other than the price difference (why are the ety flanges so much cheaper?), is there any noticable difference in quality or anything with regard to these tips?
i'll go for the ety tips if there isn't
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 7
The Ety triflanges don't have a stem like the Shures (or rather, they're supplied with the stems cut off, afaik), so they're not long enough for the UM1s (there is no chance of a seal unless you're a midget). It's better to get the Shures and cut them down until they're comfortable.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 7
For reasons that I have yet to figure out, I get a better seal with the Shure tri-flanges than with the Etys. (And that is true even with the Shure stem trimmed to match the Etys.)

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 7
The Shure's are a little stiffer. I prefer Ety's because its softer and more comfortable. I use the snipped off top flange as a stem to mount them onto the UM1/2.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lat
i just bought a pair of westone um1s, and i'm looking to get some tri-flange tips for them (gonna do the cut off part of stalk + maybe cut off smallest flange mod)

other than the price difference (why are the ety flanges so much cheaper?), is there any noticable difference in quality or anything with regard to these tips?
i'll go for the ety tips if there isn't
tongue.gif

Too bad you didn't order from earphonesolutions.com, they throw in a set of flanges. Don't know which kind though.

And I bet the Shures are more expensive because they're from Shure and for no other reason. Everything they make is overpriced. Good stuff usually, but overpriced.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 7
the etys are very slightly smaller, with the sures, with the stem length cut the same, the last flange allways has a crease in it when i take them out, due to them folding slightly to conform to my ears. The etys never do this. both sets of tips used with e4c btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back