Shure vs. Ety iron cage match
May 14, 2007 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

senns&nonsense

500+ Head-Fier
This week I should be getting in the mail a pair of ER4Ps (and I already have the s adapter) and a pair of SE310s. I will give them a thorough vetting and will sell the pair I like less.

Any predictions?

Btw, I mostly listen to 595s. I love them. They are the best phones I have ever owned, but yet I am tempted to audition some DT990s and have a full-size iron cage match as well. Worthwhile contest or should I fight the endless climb up the upgrade ladder of destitution?

The full size use iMac (Apple lossless), EMU0404, cardas to Total Airhead. Portable is 4th Gen iPod w/ ALo cotton / Total Airhead or 1st Gen shuffle.

May 14, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 10
My guess is that the Etys will be too harsh and revealing for you, and you will think the Shures are more musical, and more like your headphones. I prefer Etys, though, because I'm a detail freak, but for a few months I was seduced by a set of Shures, just because they're so easy to listen to, which they really are.

May 14, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Speaking as someone who went through that comparison myself.... I'm guessing you'll end up with the SE310, just like I did. Because, you know, I'm right.

Seriously, the Etys are great, and I love the detail and energy, but the Shure sound is only a touch flatter, with a really sweet midrange sound. And although I'm not a bass person, the Etys sounded thin after getting used to the Shures for a while. I miss the Ety bass extension and control on occasion, but for most of my listening, the Shures are a better listen.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 10
ER4s are great, although they're neutral enough that you may not like 'em at first listen if you're used to something more lively. I thought mine sounded cold and dead at first because I was used to my Senns, which are a lot more warm, lush, and airy in comparison.

I had to spend a lot of time listening exclusively to the Etys to really appreciate their speed, clarity, and detail. Mental burn-in and all that
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 10
Considering the fact that you've chosen the 595 out of the Sennheiser range, I predict you'll prefer the Ety ... just like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back