Shure vs. Audio-Technica vs. AKG vs. Sony vs. Sennheiser
Dec 29, 2009 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chunkfnk

100+ Head-Fier
So this is my first post here. So, I've done some research and I was wondering which headphones I should get. I'm in between the Shure SRH840, Audio-Technica ATH-A700, ATH-A900, ATH M50s, AKG k272HD, AKG K701, Sony Mdr-v6, Sennheiser HD-595, or Sennheiser HD280. I can't decide so I was hoping you guys with your immense wisdom could help me out. I mainly listen to Trance, techno, alternative, some hip-hop, some pop, and some rock. I'm planning on using them without an amp since I don't want multiple things in my pockets. I also need good sound isolation too since I'm going to be using them at school and on the bus so I don't want sound to leak in or out. I'm going to be using them with my iPod touch as well with some pretty...lowly encoded mp3's (yeah, I know, what am I doing on here? haha) mostly 128, 256, 320 kbps. 3/4ths are at least 256 kbps though. I'm looking for a set that will let my music come alive. So, any or your help is appreciated. And of course outside suggestions are welcome as well. My budget is anything up to $300 although I'd prefer something around $250. Thank you for your help!

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Well, for all the genres you mentioned, it may be a safer bet to get some cans that are "all-arounders". Personally, I can't give the V6's a recommendation, but that may just be my listening preference. They were, again for me, too fatiguing, bright and lacking in bass.

The Shure 840s you mentioned I have heard to be very detailed and clear, especially for the price. I found those AT-M50s to be more in line with a bass headphone, compared to the rest you listed. I personally have not listened to Sennheiser stuff, but hope to sample some soon.

I'm definitely not the headphone guy, but I figure someones gotta respond to your thread and I could at least give you my 2 cents. If there is a genre you tend to listen more to than others, let me know. That may help narrow down the selection a bit. I think if your into more bass, you may have to add a few bassier phones to your list. I may help out more that way, as that is my preference
smile.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 16
I too am debating between the Shure srh840 and the AT ath-m40. I have listened to the AT's at Long and McQuade and I like them a lot. I have not yet heard the Shure's. I can pick up the AT's for 175.00 and the shure for 199.00. Both Canadian prices. Any recommendations?

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 16
SRH840 for you, sir. The M40 shouldn't be able to touch them.
tongue_smile.gif

For chunkfnk, your best choices will probably be the akg's, A900, or HD595.
The HD595 and K701 are open-back, non-isolating 'phones and the A900 is closed-back and may give you a little bit of isolation. The K701 will most likely need an amp, or well, that's what I frequently read in threads like this one.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, for all the genres you mentioned, it may be a safer bet to get some cans that are "all-arounders". Personally, I can't give the V6's a recommendation, but that may just be my listening preference. They were, again for me, too fatiguing, bright and lacking in bass.

The Shure 840s you mentioned I have heard to be very detailed and clear, especially for the price. I found those AT-M50s to be more in line with a bass headphone, compared to the rest you listed. I personally have not listened to Sennheiser stuff, but hope to sample some soon.

I'm definitely not the headphone guy, but I figure someones gotta respond to your thread and I could at least give you my 2 cents. If there is a genre you tend to listen more to than others, let me know. That may help narrow down the selection a bit. I think if your into more bass, you may have to add a few bassier phones to your list. I may help out more that way, as that is my preference
smile.gif

Uhm, well I listen to mostly trance, Armin van Buuren, A&B, Ferry Corsten, and stuff like that.

And from further research I'm leaning towards getting the shure srh840 with a fiio e5 amp for listening on my iPod touch. Does anyone know if this combo will work? I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 16
Hi Chunfnk,

Its a bit hardpush for 840 to be driven by E5 only, surely u will get ample of volume from this setup but bare in mind the quality of the amplification of E5. Also, 840 is marketed as a studio monitor, so its not really "portable" as such. For Shure, I am "shure" 440 will be a better option than 840 in your case. I have compared both and their difference would only be noticeable on a more powerful/better source than you proposed one.

For ATH cans, there are plenty decent portable ones (those u've named are modeled reference and/or DJ), such as ANC-7 (with noise cancellation) and ESW9, considering both are designed to be powered phone-out by market available DAPs.

Just a gentle reminder, if you really want to "liberate" your music, it won't happen on low bit-rate mp3 files no matter what system. Baring in mind that the track file is really the most fundamental source of your setup (well, apart from the recording quality of ur tracks but thats out of our control....) so nothing great could come out from half-empty juicebox.....

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 16
The Shure 840 do need an amp to start to shine and I think the E5 won't quite be enough, you might want to jump a notch to a better portable like Nuforce or other portables. If you want to avoid an amp maybe look at the Shure 440, or look at the ATH ESW9 that have been mentioned, or possibly ES7 for some cost savings (if you wear glasses these might bother you physically though). I found the A700 to have serious issues with midrange and have heard the A900 while better is still weak in this area. The M50 is supposed to be pretty good. If you want to go open I would look at the AD700 which is as good beter then the HD595 in my opinion, in open headphones there is also the Allesandro MS1 which might be a good open choice for you. Another open option is the K242 MKII or HD which is a semi-open headphone from AKG.

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 16
I have HD280pro and I personally like them. Some people think there are better 'phones for the money, and I can't rightfully debate that having never owned any other full-sized cans in that price range/caliber, but FWIW I still like them. Good isolation for me.

I also wanted to just mention that if you're looking for something for portable use that will be isolating sound, you shouldn't even be considering the AKG K701 nor the Sennheiser HD595. These are both open headphone designs and will not keep any sound in or out, so you should just cross them off your list.

Are you dead-set on full-size headphones? If not, consider the IEMs, the headphones that go in your ear canal. Many of them will isolate sound better than anything else and they don't require an amp to sound good. The Etymotic ER4P, I believe, are somewhere in the $200 range and will work great un-amped. If the ear canal 'phones are not your thing, there are supra-aural cans - the kind that sit on top of your ear - that will do the job, like the Denon 1001s.

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Okay so from your suggestions, I've crossed off everything on my old list and replaced them with the Shure SRH440, Audio Technica ATH-A700, ATH-ES7, and ATH-ANC7b. I've also come across the AKG K181 DJ headphones? I've read they were good for trance? Is that right? Or have I just made another huge mistake? Anyone have any further suggestions? And yes, I'm set on having full sized headphones without an amp since In-ear's kind of bother my ear canals after long listening sessions.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 16
One HP not on your list that is quite affordable right now is the JVC HAM750 they start out very bassy but this settles down after a good burn-in. I only recommend them if you can get them for around $40. Otherwise go Shure 440 IMO as they will be more comfortable than the ES7. If you want actual active noise cancelling then go ATH-ANC7b. I would also cross off the A700 as they are BIG fullsize making them impractical for portability plus they have serious issues with recessed mids.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 16
Chunkfnk,

I too am new. I do have some experience with the AT A700. I picked them up since they had some good reviews, didn't need an amp and they were closed.

They run easily from my iPod Touch 2g and my Macbook 13 inch. I recently added an iBasso D10 amp hoping to get more out of my music.

I presently see no obvious improvement and I feel that the music could do more. I suspect that the A700s don't have room to grow. They are certainly not portable. As a relatively inexpensive HP that can work from a laptop they are ok. For more than that look elsewhere.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 16
Strongly recommend the ATH-ES7 for its portability, kind of music you listen to; doesn't need an amp to sound good and its well within your budget.

The low end may sound a bit boomy at first, but it "firms up" after burning in. Its a really fun headphone and eversince I got it, my Grado SR80i has taken a back seat.

then again, i suggest you try to audition the few you have shortlisted as sound appreciation is subjective. good luck with your hunt
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a link if you want to read more about it
o2smile.gif

Official ATH-ES7 Thread

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Ultrasones for that trance and portability. Definitely easy to find in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back