Shure "swivel connector"....Bad Design?
Jun 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a brand new pair of SE535's and I notice that when I am putting them on getting them into place in my ears and the cables over the ears I have static, particularly the left channel.  Once they are in place everything seems fine, even while moving around so I don't quite understand it.  Not sure if it is the cable itself or the connection area.

This got me thinking.  The "swivel" concept means there is air or free space between the cable and the connector...that's what allows it to spin freely.  This means there are "gaps" between connections.  How does Shure ensure that there will be a secure connection 100% of the time?  Is static inevitable?  Anybody else experience this?

Anyway, since it is not affecting listening (only getting them in place), not sure if I should keep using and see what happens or deal with the issue now.  There is the 2 year warranty so I have plenty of time.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
I have a brand new pair of SE535's and I notice that when I am putting them on getting them into place in my ears and the cables over the ears I have static, particularly the left channel.  Once they are in place everything seems fine, even while moving around so I don't quite understand it.  Not sure if it is the cable itself or the connection area.

This got me thinking.  The "swivel" concept means there is air or free space between the cable and the connector...that's what allows it to spin freely.  This means there are "gaps" between connections.  How does Shure ensure that there will be a secure connection 100% of the time?  Is static inevitable?  Anybody else experience this?

Anyway, since it is not affecting listening (only getting them in place), not sure if I should keep using and see what happens or deal with the issue now.  There is the 2 year warranty so I have plenty of time.

Hey Spyro, I had the same issue on the left side with the 535's. Mine turned out to be a faulty cable. This bugged me too, and coming from the several returns I had to do with my old 530's I wanted to get to the bottom of this first. My paticular problem was not actually at the connection but closer towards the strain relief. A slight pinch under the relief would enable me to recreate this issue at will. I ended up sending the whole thing back, as I wanted Shure to be able to troubleshoot if need be. Switching right left connectors proved to be the cable side of problem however. After reading several complaints on the 215 thread, it seems (guessing) that Shure had problems with the initial batch. However my Brand New replacement as of 2 weeks now, and I have not a single problem, And I have tested them well.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 4
I forget the name of that connector, but IIRC its used for RF stuff so as long as its not defective or something it should be just fine for plain audio.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 4
exact same concern with my 215s. i am almost certain that i heard static/soundloss coming from the left IEM when i moved the cable around in order to get a good fit. other than that, i think i have no more problems with the 215s or the cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back