Shure still king for <$200 IEMs?
Apr 1, 2016 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kanyesskirt

New Head-Fier
Sadly I've lost my Shure SE215, so I'm looking for new IEMs. Should I just buy new Shures? I can dish out slightly more than the Shures cost and I see a lot of love for RHA. However the T20 is a lot more expensive. Basically it boils down to Shure SE215, RHA MA750, RHA T-20 or is there something else? 

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 7
It ultimately depends on what you like. I can recommend Audio Technica's E40 as a strong competitor to the SE215s, or even Trinity Audio (as I am a fan of both their IEMs). Another brand you could look at is the 1MORE Triple driver IEM. But ultimately, ymmv, every IEM has it's own unique signature, and every person hears them differently. Do take the time to try them out if you can.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Sadly there isn't really a store I know of that has a bunch of "niche" IEMs to listen to. I mainly listen to hiphop and electronic music (not techno, but stuff like Mura Masa, Burial). I'll definitely read up on the ATH-E40.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 7
You might want to look at Echobox Finder X-1's they are right at $200 and have three tuning tips to give different tunings. They are really nice and light. Just to throw that out there.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 7
I have the Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 and I'm LOVING THEM. I found them great for hip-hop and electronic music.

Warm, but a bit vocal forward, with ever-so-slightly laid back treble enough to give energy to music but never harsh. 

Of course, that is my kind of signature so you might say otherwise. You should definitely read up on them though!

Also, I did have the SE215 at one point. I didn't like them, vocals weren't really forward to my liking and the treble sounded a bit off. That's all I remember from my time with the SE215's though.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 7
The MEE's seem like a budget option to the Shures, but the ATH-E40 and 1MORE look very promising. I'm probably going with the E-40s because they will soon be available at my shop of choice, and the 1MORE is hard to get where I live (EU).

Edit: after reading the impressions in the E-series thread I might go for the 1MORE after all. Is the one on aliexpress legit? If I'd order from 1MORE USA I'd have to pay customs for sure.

Edit2: Bought the 1MOREs from penonaudio. Thanks for the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back