Shure SRH940 - do they still break? Or what else?
Jan 24, 2016 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jakkul

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm interested in getting the SRH940. I've read everything that pops up on 3 first pages of google results on those cans, and I've seen a large amount of complaints about the plastics breaking (search on google images "srh940 cracks"). Someone said, that the plastics were bad in 2011. I've even contacted a seller that wants to sell his 5year old headphones and he has the breaks visible as well.

Now it's 2016. Will new SRH940 break as well? Are the plastics still bad?

Context: I want to upgrade my SRH440 to another set of closed headphones. What I look for: clarity in mids and treble, detail, bass that does not overtake the whole sound. I like the bass in the SRH440, it's enough. But the mids and treble lack a bit of quality there. Hence the upgrade.

I've heard the PSB M4U1 and am impressed, although a little less bass would not hurt. But I have a gigantic head (64 cm) and these squeeze the pads so much, that my ears are squished. 

I'm going to be using the Audinst HUD MX1 mostly, but from time to time Spotify on my android phone will have to do to. If you can recommend something else then the SRH940 - I'm listening. I'll be also looking at the Brainwavz HM5 and NAD VISO HP50. I suspect that the first ones might not be considerably better than srh440 in the mids and treble and the NADs are really hard to get here (Poland).

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 19
I still don't trust the SRH940 for it's build quality.
Do the headphones need to ne somewhat portable? If not, I'd recommend the AKG K550. Those are comfortable for large heads, have a well extended and detailed bass that is not punchy and are easy to drive.

The HP50 has clearly better sound quality, they are portable, but they are not built very well and certainly less comfortable.

I'd also like to recommend the Focal Spirit Pro, but those might clamp down a bit too much on your head. The sound, portability and build quality are great though.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 19
Hey, thanks for the tip. Since I'd like the cans to work 5-6 years without breaking, I think I'll skip the SRH940.

So I have to check out:
AKG K550
AKG K550 mkII (these are available here already)
NAD viso HP50
Focal Spirit Professional

The K's are interesting since the Internet mentions that the build quality is superb, and these are the cheapest of the lot.

Anyone else can suggest looking at some good closed cans with natural, detailed, not-bassy sound?

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 19
  I still don't trust the SRH940 for it's build quality.
Do the headphones need to ne somewhat portable? If not, I'd recommend the AKG K550. Those are comfortable for large heads, have a well extended and detailed bass that is not punchy and are easy to drive.

The HP50 has clearly better sound quality, they are portable, but they are not built very well and certainly less comfortable.

I'd also like to recommend the Focal Spirit Pro, but those might clamp down a bit too much on your head. The sound, portability and build quality are great though.

Hey, one more thing - would you recommend the AKG K271 mk2 as well? Or not?

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 19
  Hey, one more thing - would you recommend the AKG K271 mk2 as well? Or not?

I'm not sure about that one because I've never heard it myself.

Judging from the reviews, it seems that it's a bit more practical for portable use than the K550. The bass is likely to me similar to the K550, but more rolled off, and the peak that the K550 has in the treble seems to be replaced by elevated upper mids on the K271 mk2. The soundstage is likely to be larger on the K550 because it was specifically designed to have a large soundstage similar to open headphones.

It's all second hand information, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 19
  I'm not sure about that one because I've never heard it myself.

Judging from the reviews, it seems that it's a bit more practical for portable use than the K550. The bass is likely to me similar to the K550, but more rolled off, and the peak that the K550 has in the treble seems to be replaced by elevated upper mids on the K271 mk2. The soundstage is likely to be larger on the K550 because it was specifically designed to have a large soundstage similar to open headphones.

It's all second hand information, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hey, thanks for answering. I'll go to a shop next week do listen to both and decide myself :)

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 19
I'm crossing the K550 mkII of the list. Why: http://www.head-fi.org/t/785515/akg-k550-mkii#post_12316021

I still need to listen to the AKG K271 MK2, NAD and Focal. K550 old version is still in the game, if I manage to find a pair in some forgotten warehouse. The ones I've listened were not for sale.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 19
Interesting view on the MK II. It seems a bit weird to me that they changed the sound signature so much, while the K550 was already popular.
Good luck finding the right headphones!

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 19
Anyone can tell how is in plastic in SRH940 now? I am interested Shure, but I'm afraid about build. I saw a theard about broken plastic, but i don't know how much part of all SRH940 is broken? It is 50% or for example 5%? It is only "huge scandal wave" or terrible build is strong fact? Please users of SH940 about reply.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #11 of 19
to sum up the list, I'm going to listen to fostex t-50RP mk3. I've crossed the 271s and SRH-940 from the list. The 271 are much harder to handle on the move than K550mk1 and 940s have to much bass for me.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 19
  Anyone can tell how is in plastic in SRH940 now? I am interested Shure, but I'm afraid about build. I saw a theard about broken plastic, but i don't know how much part of all SRH940 is broken? It is 50% or for example 5%? It is only "huge scandal wave" or terrible build is strong fact? Please users of SH940 about reply.

I don't know if Shure ever did revise the SRH940 plastic, I gather you probably found that thread on Head-fi with several horror stories.

What I can tell you is I have owned a pair for about a year and didn't have any issues, and the majority of concerns were the headband cracking when stretched too far apart, for example, pulling the headphone open to place on your ears. With the cup adjustments quite long this also caused even more strain on the headband.

If you want to go ahead and try them, by all means you should be fine, just take care of them (as you would any other headphone) and remember to pay extra attention not to stretch them too far apart. I used to just slide them over the front of my face until they were on my ears, then off the back of my head.

Not stretch them like some peice of gym equipment. And you will have warranty (if buying new)

As for the sound, I loved them, they have excellent detail, they were a great headphone for my preferences.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 19
Jakkul, I have SRH440 (like you). So we are in identical situacion :) I bought 440 short time after their release. This headphone is like a tank. Very hard and resistant, so I was shocked when read about broken plastic in SRH940. Additionally I also browsed the internet about "broken plastic" and I found a lot of theards, but all are from 2010-2012. What happend in last 4 years? Nobody bought 940? No way. I think Shure did something, because it isn't cheap model of headphones. I also searched polish forums (I am from Poland) and all theards about broken STH940 are from 2011-2012. Later nothing about broken 940. It is good sign for me :)

H20Fidelity, thanks for very extensive replay. I want to buy new SRH940, because I don't trust using items. I read a lot review SRH940 and feel - this is exactly this what I need. I care my things very much. My SRH440 are like new and I don't joke! I always hide it to a box ect.

I just wrote e-mail to Shure Poland about SRH940 - about changes (if was and how) and about broken plastic in this model. If they replay me, I show the answer here. If someone want, can send e-mail in your country. We will compare answers :wink:

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 19
Strew, I'm from PL as well. Regarding the timing of forum complaints on the SRH940 broken plastics - I had the same conclusion. I've even tried to keep track of secondhand 940s in PL, and it turned out that the ones produced in 2010-2011 had cracks, newer one did not. I've asked sellers for pictures of the fragile areas.

Did you actually HEAR the SRH940? If you didn't I urge you to do it. There is at least one shop in each bigger city that handles them and it's quite easily googleable. Their sound signature is different than the SRH440. The quality is better for sure, but the amount of bass overwhelms the whole presentation in my opinion. SRH840, AKG K550 mk1 do not have this problem. Again, this is comment on my own personal preferences, others might like them more.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #15 of 19
I didn't hear SRH940. All shops with Shure are far away me - about 170km. In some forum one user show me today Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7. I have to know more about this headphone. It may be interesting alternative for SRH940. Price is simply identical. Have you hear sometnihg about ATH-MSR7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back