Shure SRH880 vs Audio technicia ATH-M50 vs Beyerdynamic D-990Pro
Dec 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HeadTool

New Head-Fier
Dogfight!

I am so hard trying to decide between these 3, mainly need them for studio work. The EQ graph of the beyerdynamics is relatively the flattest and it is ranked number #1 in headphone ratings.com. However it is still far from flat and quiet ugly EQ boost at bit over 10Khz, that is definitely going to be impossible to fix with any soft EQ.

ATH-M50s seem to get rave reviews also, and some say shure is the best of the bunch... These are also closed, which is a plus, but sound quality comes first.

All of the phones are priced more or less the same.

BTW the Beyerdynamic DT-990Pros have 250 ohm impedance, can line level drive that well? Can there be damage to the line?

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 11
The m50s are 38 ohm and don't require an amp. Dt990 should be amped by the way...

for studio work, id go for the ath-m50s.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 11
The ath-m50's are 38 ohms.

Perhaps you are talking about the DT990's (which are 250)

In any case, you can't really damage anything just because you're using high impedance headphones without an amp.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't have an amp with them (cause you should)

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 11
How many DB's does the 250ohms take away from line level? It actually ain't horrible if the max is at 90db without amp as I don't want to ruin my ears (already have some problems).

Anyway, why do so many people recommend the ATH's over beyerdynamics anyway?
Here are the Beyer's, they also seem really good value for money here in europe:

Here are ath-M50s:

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 11
What? How does the cabling (straight or coiled) affect the frequency response?

Quote:
How many DB's does the 250ohms take away from line level? It actually ain't horrible if the max is at 90db without amp as I don't want to ruin my ears (already have some problems).

Here are the Beyer's, they also seem really good value for money here in europe:

Here are ath-M50s:

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
What? How does the cabling (straight or coiled) affect the frequency response?

Quote:

Here are ath-M50s:

Seems like their setup isn't that accurate. So it is probably just the variance. Also the Beyerdynamic measurement by different site uses something to account for skull, and thus is just a little low pass filtered or something, as headroom's graph for beyers look like this:

Anyway help me out with the choice and impedance question =(.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 11
The SRH-840 is going to have the more balanced sound signature of all of them, but it's not neutral to me.
For studio work I'd suggest the KRK KNS-8400 over the SRH-840, but it needs a LOT of burn in.

BTW I take it you meant the SRH-840 right?

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
The SRH-840 is going to have the more balanced sound signature of all of them, but it's not neutral to me.
For studio work I'd suggest the KRK KNS-8400 over the SRH-840, but it needs a LOT of burn in.

BTW I take it you meant the SRH-840 right?

Yes, the frequency response of SRH-840 is actually worst of the bunch though. Very recessed highs.

I wrote basically every single thing wrong that you can write wrong in the first post, sorry about that -.-. Yes I mean SRH-840.

Anyway I am leaning towards the ATH40s and beyerdynamics. Has anyone tried the beyerdynamics with line level output?

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 11
I currently own the M50's (chosen over the SRH840's), and will probably be getting the DT990's very shortly. So while I can't speak from much experience with anything but the M50's, here are some things that might help you make a decision:

- The M50's are very popular here because of the quality that you'd get for the price. Right now I think they've been bumped up to $145, but I assume when the holidays are over, the price will dip back to ~$100 (where it was before). Compare the near-same quality of sound that the SRH840 pumps out for $145, and the M50 easily gives you more bang for your buck. But you might not like the sound signature as much, which is something I think you have to hear to truly know what you will/won't want.

- Personally, I chose the M50's for their durability and portability. I don't know if these are factors for you at all, but the SRH840 and DT990's do not fold up the way the M50's do, and might not survive in a backpack, for example.

- It's been a long time since I've heard the SRH840's, so you might want to read the reviews and comparisons yourself, but I believe they gave better mids presence than the M50's did. I do not consider the M50's to have recessed mids--simply more bass than other phones--but as tdock mentioned, the 840's are probably going to have the more balanced sound.

- The DT990's are well known for great comfort (almost all Beyers are). If you don't mind the sound leaking and plan on listening for hours at a time, these might be your friend. I've heard they also have recessed mids, but better soundstage overall.

So if you can't try them out in person, it seems like you're going to have to roll the dice and take the plunge on a whim. Frequency response graphs certainly do not tell you everything that headphones have to offer. Also, I'm confused by your line-level inquiries. What is the output of your current amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back