Shure SRH840a
Nov 8, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #166 of 178
Sundara is an open back headphone ,different category might be better (havent heard it) but they are only for home use as with most of these headphones.
I had Hifiman before and were exceptional headphones but they were bulky and you had to be in a completely quite place to listen since all noise was leaking through.
Sometimes i even heard the fridge running. In complete silence they were super!

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #167 of 178
I was looking for a headphone I could use at home and don’t really have a preference for open vs. closed.
Just wanted something that sounds similar to the SRH940 and is more comfortable to wear.

You’re right they are very open, there was another person in the test room and he was testing the Audeze LCD-GX at very loud volumes.
When I was listening to quite songs I was having a hard time hearing the details because I could hear the other persons music so much😅.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #168 of 178
Thats the problem with open headphones.They sound great specially their soundscape but you cant use them in places were you would choose to use headphones since you cant have speakers!

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #173 of 178
Any chance of having the inner dimensions of the earpad please? Thanks.

Considering the 840A to replace my HD569, which is comfortable to wear with Sen's large pads, but the sound is subpar (have tried my best to EQ but still not ideal). I also have the DT700 Pro X that sounds nice but the pad is too small for my large ears, so gave it to my daughter. She also has my K361 too... LOL.

My other cans are HD600, HD560S, and Beyer Amiron Home. The Amiron is my fav and HD560S the least. With that in mind, do you think the sound signature of the 840A would suit me?

@holden4th I can get the 840A from an online shop in NZ for NZD279, good deal? :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #174 of 178
Any chance of having the inner dimensions of the earpad please? Thanks.

Considering the 840A to replace my HD569, which is comfortable to wear with Sen's large pads, but the sound is subpar (have tried my best to EQ but still not ideal). I also have the DT700 Pro X that sounds nice but the pad is too small for my large ears, so gave it to my daughter. She also has my K361 too... LOL.

My other cans are HD600, HD560S, and Beyer Amiron Home. The Amiron is my fav and HD560S the least. With that in mind, do you think the sound signature of the 840A would suit me?

@holden4th I can get the 840A from an online shop in NZ for NZD279, good deal? :)
That's a great deal. Addicted to Audio has dropped them to $AUS299 so that price is well ahead of us. I didn't have any issues with the earpad size but of course that varies for everybody. The sound signature is quite neutral but not completely. I found that Shure had improved the bass over the originals and the midrange projected vocals and solo instruments better as well. This is what monitor style cans are meant to do.

The Amirons are not in the same price range as the Shures but the 569s are. Having heard Sennheisers offerings in this price range the 840As are a no brainer. Quite simply, they punch well above their weight and I can see why they are used so often in studios for mixing.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #175 of 178
Well, I've now tried the 840A for a week. Very carefully did A/B listening comparison with my long-loved 840.

I'm going to return the 840A. I do not like the sound, which is muddy and very much bass-heavy. Radically different from the "essentially flat neutral" sound of the 840. They're really two very different devices.

Yes, the headband of the 840A seems to be a bit more solid and sturdy and just feels a bit better. And it has an overall snugger tighter fit against my ears than that of the 840 which has a bit looser feel and slightly larger ear pads. But overall, here again, I actually prefer the fit and feel of the 840, especially for long listening periods. I know, I'm used to it. But I still prefer it.

But mostly I simply don't enjoy listening through the 840A. It's not as "clear and transparent" as the 840. Sure, it has a much heavier bottom and low-mid, and in comparison the 840 might sound a bit "thin". But I find that boominess offensive and actually unpleasant. Reminds me of the similar "boomy sounding" Yamaha YH-E70A headphones I bought because I wanted a bluetooth noise-canceling item. And they could also be connected using a wired-option. So once again I did what I felt was an objective comparison of the E70A to my 840, and once again there really was no comparison. The 840 was the clear winner, objectively and subjectively. I much preferred listening to anything through it. The E70A sounded "more for an everyday consumer".

If I want more bass I will adjust it in the EQ of the player. If I want more volume I will adjust it on the player. I don't want it forced on me in the headphones, so that I have to negatively offset and compensate for it in the player just to achieve a satisfactory sound.

I know that's what makes for horse racing, and some people like chocolate and others like vanilla. But I'm not a fan of these 840A. Going back to Amazon tomorrow.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #176 of 178
Fortunately for you the 840 is still available from many stores and will once again provide you with many years of listening pleasure. I didn't find the 840A bass heavy and was very happy with the clarity. Yes, I would agree that the 840 is more neutral but not by much for my ears. I'm pleased that you will be able to go back to what you were happy with - enjoy!

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #177 of 178
Well, I've now tried the 840A for a week. Very carefully did A/B listening comparison with my long-loved 840.

I'm going to return the 840A. I do not like the sound, which is muddy and very much bass-heavy. Radically different from the "essentially flat neutral" sound of the 840. They're really two very different devices.

Yes, the headband of the 840A seems to be a bit more solid and sturdy and just feels a bit better. And it has an overall snugger tighter fit against my ears than that of the 840 which has a bit looser feel and slightly larger ear pads. But overall, here again, I actually prefer the fit and feel of the 840, especially for long listening periods. I know, I'm used to it. But I still prefer it.

But mostly I simply don't enjoy listening through the 840A. It's not as "clear and transparent" as the 840. Sure, it has a much heavier bottom and low-mid, and in comparison the 840 might sound a bit "thin". But I find that boominess offensive and actually unpleasant. Reminds me of the similar "boomy sounding" Yamaha YH-E70A headphones I bought because I wanted a bluetooth noise-canceling item. And they could also be connected using a wired-option. So once again I did what I felt was an objective comparison of the E70A to my 840, and once again there really was no comparison. The 840 was the clear winner, objectively and subjectively. I much preferred listening to anything through it. The E70A sounded "more for an everyday consumer".

If I want more bass I will adjust it in the EQ of the player. If I want more volume I will adjust it on the player. I don't want it forced on me in the headphones, so that I have to negatively offset and compensate for it in the player just to achieve a satisfactory sound.

I know that's what makes for horse racing, and some people like chocolate and others like vanilla. But I'm not a fan of these 840A. Going back to Amazon tomorrow.
The 840a has been given more bottom but it retains the clarity. That's what I've been told and that's what I'm going with anyway!.. I've never owned or tried any other wired closed backs!

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #178 of 178
Fortunately for you the 840 is still available from many stores and will once again provide you with many years of listening pleasure. I didn't find the 840A bass heavy and was very happy with the clarity. Yes, I would agree that the 840 is more neutral but not by much for my ears. I'm pleased that you will be able to go back to what you were happy with - enjoy!

Unless the headband snaps, the 840 really are a defective construction, but yeah they sounds great while they last ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back