Shure SRH840a
Aug 17, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #76 of 178
Not indenting a flame war but everyone seems really happy with the A model, but I did find this review:

It could not be further from what people here are saying. Anyone have any ideea why ?
Also...is there anywhere you can buy a cable that isn't 3m long ?

Aug 17, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #77 of 178
Not indenting a flame war but everyone seems really happy with the A model, but I did find this review:

It could not be further from what people here are saying. Anyone have any ideea why ?
Also...is there anywhere you can buy a cable that isn't 3m long ?

Can't say anything about 440A, as I didn't have a chance to listen those cans, but yeah, I kinda agree with his review when it comes to 840A. I wouldn't call 840A a basshead cans, as bass isn't very exaggerated and is pretty nicely controlled and punchy, but it can be boomy sometimes. Highs aren't harsh at all. Build quality is better than old line of Shure headphones, but it still feel a bit cheap - at least plastic doesn't squeak or make any other annoying noises like in old 440's. Comfort is ok, but I find earpads a bit shallow for my taste. Isolation is very good, better than K371. Overall, I find 840A's to be better cans for casual listening than K371. Wouldn't call these studio headphones per se, because of more "fun" than analytical sound characteristics.
Anyway, my Focal Listen headphones eat 840As for breakfast - more air, clarity, details and fast, tight bass with very great control.

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #79 of 178
@LHOD
Focal listen as in the ~250 euros Focal Listen Pro with the red pads ?
Nope, Focal Listen Wireless, but Listen Pro are also great, unfortunately need quite a lot power to sound as intended.
Listen Wireless are great in both wired and wireless mode and will play basically any genre effortlessly.

p. s.
In my country, you can get both Listen Wireless and Listen Pro under 200 euros.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #80 of 178
Oh...I never knew there was also a wireless version.
Specs seem good....and then...aptX, SBC. For crying out loud, we can get 50$ LDAC compatible cans now, looks like Focal joined the "we don't care about BT codec" bandwagon.

Thanks for the info on the 840A, you think they are better for casual listening than K371. I assume that the K371 is better for monitoring, critical listening.

Aug 18, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #81 of 178
Oh...I never knew there was also a wireless version.
Specs seem good....and then...aptX, SBC. For crying out loud, we can get 50$ LDAC compatible cans now, looks like Focal joined the "we don't care about BT codec" bandwagon.

Thanks for the info on the 840A, you think they are better for casual listening than K371. I assume that the K371 is better for monitoring, critical listening.
Well, Listen Wireless are on the market for quite some time, so these aren't up to date, but give them a try and you'll be quite suprised. Anyway, codec don't play - there might be LDAC and headphones will play like sh... if poorly designed and with bad BT implementation.

I wouldn't call K371 better for critical listening, just worse for casual listening😏 Neither 840A or K371 are good studio cans per se.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #82 of 178
Thanks, I haven't tried that AKG. I have tried only one studio headphones, the Beyer DT 150. What about the clamp pressure of the ear pads?
Yes, you know I need closed backs because I can't use the open backs at nights (today was a very pleasant day with my HD 800s, but now I need closed backs... Right now is night here).

At the end, I prefer my Sony Z7s over the Denons for most of the genres I like. I know that for EDM (the briefly I tried them with that genre) the 9200s are spectacular, but I prefer the warmth of the Sonys for the genres I use to listen to and wonder how the "big brother" will sound.

At first, I'm going to ask for a trade for the Z1Rs.
mdr-z7 is my end game, i remember listening to them years ago, boy that bass was so full and lush it's like you're swimming in chocolate. I want one so bad but they're discontinued for the z7m2 which is unfortunately have a wider less intimate sound :frowning2:

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #83 of 178
copy paste from reddit:

So it seems that the 840 is flatter. That’s not too surprising as their frequency response would be hard to beat. The new version seems to cater to modern trends with a bit more subbass and a bit more sparkle in the treble. It’s certainly good they’ve improved comfort and durability, but it seems a shame that they are no longer as flat as they used to be......

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #84 of 178
I loved the sound of the old 840, too bad they didn't last more than a few months and literally fell to pieces by themself without any touching. That made me so scared, I won't ever touch Shure headphones again but YMMV

I'm getting the M50x as tracking cans, also good sound isolation but not fragile, also heard guitarists prefer them for making guitars sound great (I play guitar)

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #85 of 178
I got the M50X, manufactured November 2021, they sound very similar to the old SRH-840 and feels similar on the head. They have a pretty elevated bass though, probably for the same reasons this new 840a has it.

Sounds excellent on modern metal, as that type of music needs some oomph to live, and a compact soundstage doesn't hurt either.

Anyway, they are so similar to 840 I can only see the confirmed sturdiness of the M50x as the deciding factor.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #86 of 178
The M50X sounds much less natural to my ears than the 840. I regret the move to studio phones with silly amounts of sub bass, but that seems to be the trend. I think that Shure have responded to this trend with the 840A. However, I understand what Shure has done with the 840A. When it came out the 840 was Shure’s top of the range studio headphone. It was designed to be flat but with enough extra bass and treble to be good for tracking and monitoring. The result was a headphone that was great for studio use and also for music listening. But then Shure brought out the 940 and 1540. The 940 is flatter and more accurate and the 1540 is basically a better 840. Shure has made the 840A to cater for a more modern customer base that wants that extra sub bass and a more modern look. They even say themselves that it’s intended for ‘content creators’, ie not for musicians or serious studio use. In my opinion it’s a shame that they’re marketing it as an upgrade and not a new model, but they will probably get more sales this way - I’m sure they have thought of that!
If I didn’t already have several 840’s I’d be buying some of the remaining old stock whilst they’re still around. One of the best ever sounding studio headphones.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #87 of 178
Yes, the M50x doesn't exactly sound natural, but it has its strong points. Mostly just being sturdy and proven irl. As to the sound, it has low distorsion and can play insane loud but yes bass is way too much for critical listening, must be EQd if used for mixing. For tracking though, it doesn't matter with a little extra bass.
And yes, the 840 sounds lovely, too bad it's so fragile. I even contemplated DIY the earcups to another frame.

I sure hope the 840a is better built, and it can be EQd too.

Thankfully I have plenty of other cans for critical listening, M50x is just a workhorse.

Oct 17, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #88 of 178
These 840a's are now my favorite all rounder. Great for listening, monitoring, tracking, and mixing. The default tuning is a great balance between fun and flat. I like a little smiley curve (which it has) for listening and critical listening. I usually have to EQ every headphone to suit my taste, or to be used for music work, but only find this 840a and the DT1990pro to sound right and usable without EQ. I actually use the 840a over my DT1990pro, Sundara, & 560s for monitoring/mixing. The 1990's still get used, but the 840a is good for everything. Highly recommended.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #89 of 178
But how is the build quality? Does it look like it will last?

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #90 of 178
Never mind, I bought a pair, they were just 110€. I agree with previous comments, U-shape it is, the bass isn't annoying, but the high treble can be a bit much. May need some EQ or burn in from the brain.

Looks much more expensive than they are, more comfortable than the old model as they are very light.
Yes, these must be new drivers, they have a totally different character/tonality than the old ones. They should have given them a new name.

Sound wise, well they sound quite ok and are comfortable, but I rank cans like DT990 Pro 250, HD600 and K612 higher but they are all open. These are good for being closed cans. Compared to M50x: midrange is more present and warmer which is a plus. Bass isn't nearly as dominating as in the M50x, also a plus. The only closed can I have which is clearly better is the Z7M2, but it is more like nearly semi open and several times more expensive.

Compared to MDR-1AM2, both bass and treble are better in the Sony cans (which are twice the price) as are resolution of details, but the Sonys feels much more fragile and aren't meant as a work can. They are for consuming music on the go. Shure wins in the midrange here too, as being warmer and more present.

It's a pity they don't sound at all like the old 840, but they sound good in their own right, we will see about the durability at least it looks better put together than the 840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back