Shure SRH840 vs German Maestro 8.35D
Oct 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

noobguy

New Head-Fier
I am new to the whole audiophile headphone thing. I have been using my Sennheiser HD200's for years djing and have no problem with them for that.

Now I am moving on to production. I am currently living in Japan and can't play loud music as it seems to be taboo here (especially in the suburbs). I plan to buy some Yamaha NS-10M before I go back to New Zealand as they are very easy, and cheap to buy here and seem like a safe bet for mix down.

I plan to send off any completed tracks of a high calibre to be mastered in the UK by the exchange or metropolis or someone similar.

I will be making heavily reggae influenced jungle (drum n bass) dance music. It will have male and female vocals, as well as sythesizer, sub-bass, deep kicks, snares and rolls.

I need to be able to hear the exact point where I have compressed the amens too much and which frequencies I need to EQ.

I will not be using an amp.

I will be using the headphones straight out of my laptop soundcard.

If I have money at a later date I may buy a DAC. I may also upgrade my onboard soundcard. Most likely I will not buy an amp.

As I stated the headphones are just the first step in a chain of mastering.

I have narrowed my list down to

Shure SRH840
German Maestro 8.35D

Both are said to be flat enough for my purposes.

I would really like to get some K701/702, but concensus is that they need amping. They are also open. As my wife will be on the other side of a curtain while I am making beats it would be considerate to have as little leaking as possible.

Please let me know what you would consider the best choice for my purposes.
popcorn.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Oct 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 7
If you don´t need isolation I would go for the 435S
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 7
I wonder how the new Ortofon O one and O Two measure up against the Shure 840. I haven't been able to find any reviews yet since they're new, but they're priced about the same as the Shure and, FWIR, they don't need an amp.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Great review...thanks for the link, noobguy! I always wanted to try the ultrasones s-logic technology, and now it seems there's a more balanced ultrasone available for studio and dj use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back