Shure SRH840 vs Denon AHD2000?
Dec 7, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Good question...can anyone answer this? I'd like to know too. I purchased the Shures at a local shop without hearing them. I've also never heard the DT770 pro 80s but it was the headphone that I was looking for before I found the Shures locally at such a good price.

I am in the same boat too (Beyer DT770Pro 80ohm versus the Shure SRH840 44ohm to be used with the Cafe Walter Headphone amp)...and would love to see any responses to this comparison from those with "ears on" experience

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by driver 8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to everyone who replied. I ended up getting the Shures due to their ease in portability and lower price point among other things. I've only had them for two days, but so far all I can say is... wow. With the "treble booster" EQ setting on my ipod touch (unamped), I think these sound really good.

They're very neutral, but I don't find them to be boring by any means, and incredibly detailed for a set I spent only $150 on (amazon.) For reference, along with the Shures I currently own Sennheiser IE6's, Grado SR80i, and HD650's. They absolutely trump the IE6's in every regard. Well, their bass isn't as strong (perhaps I should say "yet," since they have no burn-in), but it's far more controlled and true sounding, as many have already said compared to other phones.

While the sound isn't as "open" as my Grado SR80i's (typically used with my ipod, like the Shures and IE6's), I find it to be a lot grander in a way that's very satisfying. They're also a bit more detailed than the Grados and feel just as "involving" but in a different way.

I find them comparable to the HD650's (which I use amped with my desktop) in comfort, which is to say that neither cause me any discomfort at all, but that's about it. I couldn't honestly expect them to sound better than those though. However, I would say that they're much closer to that sound than the aforementioned phones though, and given the fact that I got them for only $50 more than my SR80i's and $20 more than the IE6's (sale on newegg a few months back), but $200 less than the HD650's (J&R), that says a lot.

Driver,

I'm curious as to what amp you are using? I think you've definitely hit the nail on the head with the pricing. The Shures are leagues ahead of anything even close to it's price point. And for those who say that they don't have a very large soundstage need to take another listen. My SRH840s have an unnaturally large soundstage for closed cans. In terms of bass extension they do really well. I'm using a Cambridge Audio 740C to a WA6 and I'm even prefering the SRH840's over my HF-2's at the moment.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you want closed back? If it's for isolation the Denon's are not for you. The sound is good, but the isolation is minimal.

For closed cans the isolation is minimal, but in comparison to open cans it is a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back