Shure SRH840 vs Audio Technica ATH M50
Oct 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ExtremeHotDog

New Head-Fier
Hey

I am looking for a new headphone for $75-$90 (pre owned), I cannot choose between these two. The m50s are fun and fast but they aren't very accurate. The 840s are really accurate, with great soundstage but I heard they where too slow. My musical taste is really varied, my main genres are metal (extreme specially), EDM (trance, house, dubstep, drum and bass, etc), Reggae and some rap. I dont plan on buying an amp, at least in the next few months.

Thank you for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 5
  I am looking for a new headphone for $75-$90 (pre owned), I cannot choose between these two. The m50s are fun and fast but they aren't very accurate. The 840s are really accurate, with great soundstage but I heard they where too slow. My musical taste is really varied, my main genres are metal (extreme specially), EDM (trance, house, dubstep, drum and bass, etc), Reggae and some rap. I don't plan on buying an amp, at least in the next few months.

Thank you for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif

The ATH-m50s will offer a lot of loud bass, I'm guessing the SRH840 have a more moderate bass.
How much bass you looking for?

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 5
M50 have more bass but Shure 840 have more natural bass (not lacking at all) Shure's soundstage is little better. Shure has little upfront sound detailed vocals and on your face, Audio-technica is little warmer side. For my music I prefer Shure but keeping both.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, if the bass is not lacking I think I would like the SRH840 better. Also better soundstage is great for gaming. I suppose that the Shures are better in a wider range of genres, not just few genres (rap, EDM for example) like the m50s.
Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back