shure srh840 v ath ESW9 for portable use?
Aug 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 7
The Shures are pretty big and the coiled cable would probably be annoying for portable use as well. Strictly for portable use, I'd say the ESW9 are probably a better choice.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 7
For portable use, I don't recommend the 840's, at least until they release a replacement cord so you can change from the default one. The default cable is thick, coiled and has a very long and thick plug which makes it too cumbersome to use with a portable source. And even if they do, it's not well suited for portable purposes anyway because of its big size.

It'll seal better than the esw9 for sure, but that is about the only thing it's got going for it portability wise.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll seal better than the esw9 for sure, but that is about the only thing it's got going for it portability wise.

Well the interchangeable cable is nice for portability in the sense that it can in fact be easily replaced if damaged on the go. I used my SRH840's today for my commute, and as usual they work fine. I don't have issues with the weight of the cans, and the cable is tucked into my bag with my player.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 7
With ESW9 I'd be scared s***less the whole time due to their fancy finish, fragile cable and construction. My impressions:

SRH840:
+Good isolation, decent imaging and details, robust design, interchangeable cable, rather comfortable, balanced sonic performance, very natural treble (you can distinct the differences in volumes the drummer hits a hi-hat or other cymbal with), easy to drive (iPod compatible).
-Big, very big, heavy/clumsy coiled cable for pocket-portable use, don't stay on your head very well, though refined not very involving or musical sonic presentation (to my ears, need I say).

ESW9
+Very light weight, truly portable dimensionally, comfortable, stay on your head, very involving, musical and a bit upfront presentation though not as refined vs. 840s, displays notes/pitches more "accurately" or with more variation/contrast, better transients, great with jazz and brass instruments in general, also great with progressive fusion/rock, A balance I'd love if the bass was a bit more as in the 840s.
-Seem very fragile, do not isolate unless blasting at high volumes, bass doesn't go as deep and isn't as snappy as in 840s and a bit more prominent in relation to the rest of the audio spectrum, treble not as natural or refined than with 840s.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks electropop, that's a great comparison. It seems they are just "different" headphones, and neither is excruciatingly better or worse.

Interesting.
I guess this doesn't help my choice at all :p ! ha! I guess the esw9 are more " fun? " or involving, and I think I value that more, then a deeper bass of the shures. Not to say that esw9 is lacking in bass at all then I guess?

Thanks a bunch. I am always surprised at the helpfulness of the people on this forum. ^_^

edit : Just ordered the esw9's

God I am terrified of the custom charge I am going to get..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back