Shure SRH840 - proprietary adapter?
Aug 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MightyJordan

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm looking to see if there's a 2.5mm adapter for sale anywhere that'll fit Shure's propietary connector (the twist-to-lock one)? I'm asking, as I would like to use a cable with iPhone functionality built-in (three-button remote and mic) while I'm outside. I did look around on Google earlier, but couldn't find anything, so I decided to ask here, because if you don't know, then no one does. I was originally going to ask if there is a way to remove the proprietary lock on the headphones, but I'm not too confident about modding my headphones (especially if I **** it up and have to spend around £150 on a new pair), plus it's probably designed so that no cables can be held in place without that lock.

I know this an unusual request, but I'd really appreciate your help, even if it's just to confirm that no one actually makes them. :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 4
So you want a cable that plugs into the threaded uptake on the Shure headphones, and terminates on the "equipment" end with 2.5mm? I don't think that exists, but you can just put a 2.5mm adapter on the 3.5mm "equipment end" to plug into whatever device. Ratshack will sell them.

If you want to add ControlTalk and similar to these headphones, that is very likely impossible. If the headphone-side is a 3.5mm jack, you *might* be able to get away with one of the SMS or V-MODA replacement cables, but it won't be threaded. If the headphone side is 2.5mm (if that's what you're asking), an adapter might work, but realize that without the threaded connector, it's only on the jack to hold it in (the TRS jack will hold it to some extent), which means it's more easily pulled out (this may be a benefit or a downside depending on your usage).

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 4
Sorry, I should have been more specific in the original post; I meant to say a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter (as the headphone's socket is 2.5mm) that locks in like the Shure cables, then I'd use a standard "ControlTalk" 3.5mm cable between the adapter and the iPhone. I've tried using a standard 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter that I've got lying around, but it's too chunky to fit all the way in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back