Shure SRH840 or AKG-271 MKII
Feb 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cowboy Pinkhat

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Please let me introduce myself:
I currently listen to Lame VBR mp3, with a FUBAR IV dac & amp.
My headphone is a AKG-240 Studio

I really like my AKG's: the sound, but also the ergonomics. The only thing I don't like is the way they 'cut' my neck when worn there and that they are semi-open.

At least, the missus that works in the same room doesn't like that fact.

I've read numerous posts and review concerning the aformentioned cans.

I like the Shure because of their ergonomics and sound (and they appear to be fun)

I like the AKG because they are so beautiful (not an argument, but still) and they fit my head & ears like a glove (?)
Good sound, build quality.
Also like the velour pad option.
BUT, as they are monitoring cans, they seem to be lacking a little bass fun oomph.

Soooooooooooo, my music is jazz, folk, some symphonical rock and some classical.

Budget is around 200 euro.

TIA

CP

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

...jazz, folk, some symphonical rock and some classical

I dind´t try the SRH840, but the K271 shines at those type of genres (especially jazz and folk) . The mid - trebles are superb and the bass is presented controlled and tight, basically as it was recorded, nothing more and nothing less.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 13
thank you, moonshake, for this and your former reply.

You reckon it's got enough bass?
Do you call it clinical/cold?

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 13
And is there anyone here who speaks in favour of the Shures??

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 13
That's a tough one. I own both and like each for different things. The SRH840 have very powerful bass, which gives rock, jazz (drums especially), acoustic guitar and even classical music a fuller and deeper sound. They also have amazing detail and let you hear all the instruments very clearly. But the bass is a bit out of proportion and can get tiring. The AKG271 have the opposite character to my ears. They have leaner bass, which makes music a little sweeter and more airy. The bass isn't bad mind you, just a lot less present than the Shures. Listening to classical music, the Shures are like sitting in the right-hand side of the hall in the 5th row (in front of the bass and cellos) and the AKG are like sitting in the left-hand side, 30 rows back (violins and flutes dominate more, but it's harder to pick out individual instruments). I haven't heard the 240, and was going to say that you might like the AKGs if they have a similar signature, but the 240 frequency response graph actually looks more like the Shures. So I'm no help at all..

graphCompare.php

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 13
`lol eucariiote!
thank you very much for your insight....
the problem is I probably could listen to them in a store side by side, but my source then would be my iPod Classic...and they would not be burnt in...

damn, this is tricky...

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

You reckon it's got enough bass?

Ok, they´re not a basshead dream of course, they´re meant to be neutral studio monitors, so the bass is tight and real. Not plenty, but fairy enough. You can get some more ¨boom¨ pairing them with a warm amp ( like a Canamp, Shanling P100, etc ).
Quote:

Do you call it clinical/cold?

I´d call them neutral, flat and... yes, perhaps clinical and analytical. But they´re also REAL and they stay away letting you judge how was the recording done, revealing lots of detail and letting the music show it´s own colors.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 13
on the other hand....
there are a lot of aftermarket cables for the AKG.

Maybe AKG + aftermarket cable = better thaN Shure?

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a budget of 200 euro you can dare to buy the K-701/2, used or new.

Hi Acix,
thanks, I know, but I need closed headphones for now....
When daughter is bigger ---> moves to other room ---> her room becomes my listeningroom.....

then a whole new world of open headphones reveils itself

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

With a budget of 200 euro you can dare to buy the K-701/2, used or new.

It´s true but, didn´t you notice, at a certain point, the K271 sounds a LOT more real - with fuller mid freqs, more bass quantity, believable cymbals, solid male voices, etc - than the K701 ? ( I´ve got them new and burned them for 60 hours so far, so I can´t make a solid comparison yet. Also, I don´t think they can improve that much ).
The K271 are a great value for the price.. - they also make a killer combo paired with the Canamp.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 13
OK that's it.
I sold my 241 and will buy my 271 this saturday.
I just can't abbandon AKG.

Thanks for all your thoughts/input

CP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back