Shure SRH840 - not much love on head-fi, why?
Feb 12, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 20
I got a replacement M2, everything works again. The shop said it was their first RMA of a large number sold. Let's hope it lasts for a long time now.

One interesting first observation is the Presonus HP4 is actually better than I thought, I'm now running the line outs from the M2 and it holds up well with the integrated HP out of the M2. HP4 even has a slightly larger/more open soundstage than the HP out has.

Was it the Steinberg UR22C I used as a replacement when the first M2 was fried that I thought colored the midrange? Can't be sure as I couldn't do any direct comparison at the time when one unit was fried. Maybe I was just affected from the failure and interpreted any change in the sound as a step down. I have to do some research on that.

Anyway, the SRH840 sounds very nice M2 line out -> Presonus HP4. The great thing with the HP4 is it's easy to do direct comparisons as it has 4 identical outs. Comparing the Sennheiser HD600 to the SRH840, the SRH840 is clearly brighter/more treble. Bass and midrange is about the same level, but the SRH840 has a more tight bass. Both the HD600 and the SRH840 sounds very good and not that different, they have similar resolution/timbre, which they should have as both are considered neutral cans. But it speaks well for the SRH840, as it is much cheaper. The HD600 having a less bright treble may offer slightly lower fatique, and possibly some deeper insight in the soundscape as there's no distracting brightness. The SRH840 doesn't suffer from sibilance or harshness though, it's just slightly bright.

SRH840 is a fantastic sounding closed can for sure, and strange enough comfortable even if there's some heat it sits well in place. I will enjoy it the best I can til the hinges breaks.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #17 of 20
SRH840 is simply a great headphone. It is actually quite hard to understand and explain why it doesn't get much love on head-fi. So I don't believe there will be a straight and objective answer to that question in spite of the efforts made in this thread :)

Cheers

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 20
Supporting this! Tried them recently, along with 940 and 1540, and gotta say all three were nice. For this low of a price, the 840 is great - good build, neutral sound, punchy dynamics, isolation good enough for tracking and monitoring, as well as portable/shared workplace use cases. A tried and tested workhorse headphone that has proven itself over many years in many studios worldwide.

I guess because there's so much focus on extremely high-end hi-fi headphones in these forums, good gear with a wide appeal that's available to almost anyone gets largely ignored.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 20
I like the midrange, it is very natural in timbre, although overall they are slightly full, but with a healthy amount of treble that is good in resolution. Only mid treble ist slightly spalshy.

Bass texture is decent. Upper bass seems slightly warm.

It is still much better than ndh20 imo.

The only thing it can't do is dt770 soundstage

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #20 of 20
The sound quality of SRH840 is still fantastic, but the hinges DID break, and very easily so. One day I just lifted them up and they fell apart, not used very much as I have a lot of cans I rotate.
Verdict: despite great SQ, stay far away from these cans, must be the most fragile cans I've ever handled LoL

Only good outcome is I could use the 2.5mm HP cable for my old Philips cans which had a worn out cable, they sound okish good but are super comfy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back