Shure srh840 nice sound but I found an issue with craftsminship
Aug 13, 2009 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mplee79

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my 840s for a couple of weeks now. Been mainly listening to them at my desktop listening station (never took them outside of my home). They've been great so far and initially they seemed to be very durable.

However, I noticed yesterday that the points where the top leather straps insert into the plastic bit (where the headphone cable runs through) had detached leaving the leather piece completely disconnected from the plastic end. It's connected with this cheap adhesive that comes apart pretty easily.

I would've thought that this model being Shure's top of the line headphones would've come better constructed. Stitching it down would've been far far better in my opinion.

I called Shure and they suggested that I ship it back (consumer has to pay for shipping) and they are uncertain as to how long it will take to get back to me. Unfortunately, i may be out of headphones for at least a few weeks. Considering these are brand new headphones, I find that somewhat lousy.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes that is unfortunate. Care to post some pictures? You couldn't return this to the retailer?

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Retailer is out of stock at the moment with no idea when they'll receive it back in.

I would post some pictures however, i did a make shift fix-it job by stuffing it in to the plastic end (still deciding if it's even worth sending it back in, wait 2-3 weeks, go through another burn in). It's rather fragile at the moment and pops out pretty easily. If i decide to send it back, i'll take some pictures then.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 5
I had no problems with mine either, until i did. I'm just suggesting that you be mindful of the fact that the connection between the leather and the plastic comes apart quite easily. I'm just a little disappointed since i'll be without these headphones for a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back