Shure SRH840 initial impressions.
Apr 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by earfonia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot!
Indeed, your comment makes me confused
biggrin.gif
Because for me M50 is not veiled at all, it has good clarity and transparency, at least for my ears ;p

I had Grado RS-1 as well, and tried some other good cans such as K701. Indeed RS-1 is brighter than M50, but M50 to me is not veiled at all.

M50 sounds differently on different amp, could it be that your amp that caused M50 sounds veiled? At least direct connection to iPod, it doesn't sound veiled at all.

Thanks for your feedback anyway! From there it seems that SRH840 sounds a lot brighter than the M50. Does SRH840 sound as bright as the Grado RS-1?

Maybe I explained it wrong and I apologise... the RS-1s are by far brighter than the 840s. The M50s aren't "dark" in the treble area... I just find the midrange distant and the soundtage a bit compressed, especially when directly compared to the 840s. I've tried them on numerous amps and iPods and the outcome was the same but I only noticed this drastically when I directly compared them to the 840s. The M50s are great headphones and I dont think you can go wrong but good lord the 840s impressed me and keep on impressing me. If I paid $500 for them I still would think just as highly of them, to me they're that good.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #17 of 28
^^^

I don't know how close the AT AD 700 are to the M50.
But I have them and in the mid's detail it just like that too being distant on some stuff.
The 840 is far better than those.

The 840 isn't bright at all.
Some might call it dark. And unamped with some stuff it is.Although I call it slightly muddy.Amped warm and yummy
L3000.gif

But I think its balanced and great not too much treble but enough and not too much bass but enough.
I love them as well.
I want to get a Beyerdynamic but then I just be listening to the 840 and wonder if I even should.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #18 of 28
Thanks for the explanation! I will try SRH840 when I have a chance
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard a little bit of crossfeed effect with my M50, as well as my friend M50, as I described here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cro...ca-m50-484744/

Have you ever tried your M50 or maybe SRH840 with test tone to test if there is leak between the left and the right driver?

Could it be that this 'signal leaks' between the left and right driver that affect the M50 soundstage ?

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are easily some of the best dynamic headphones I've ever heard and I've owned everything from RS-1s to HD600/650, AKG K701 and a load of Ultrasones and Beyers. They have a certain punchiness, airiness and overall velvety sound without being dark that I have yet to find again for anywhere near the price. For me the only headphones I've heard that truly edge them out to my ears (however, only with a great amp) are the K1000s, HD800's and a couple of electrostatics... but those are not financially realistic, plus I can listen to these unamped and they still sound awesome. On another plus side I find them extremely comfortable. For the foreseeable future I truly believe I've found audio nirvana- all for under $150!
biggrin.gif

I had 4 non-audiophile friends and newly christened audiophile brother all listen to my SRH840, HD650 and HD800 out of 3 different setups. The ratings were unanimous. HD800 > HD650 >>> 840. This was also my own ranking long before I heard their opinions.

We all agreed the difference between the last 2 wasn't small. Maybe your tastes differ, but the 840s are definitely not better than any of the open cans I've heard, and IMO, not even close to the HD650s. I urge others to listen to all of them out of a good setup.

I do think, however, that the 840s are the best closed cans in their price range and probably the best I've owned (RP-21, PRO750 were the others).

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course! The M50 sounds a lot more "veiled" in comparison to me, especially in the midrange. I found on the M50 a lot of acoustic and vocal music actually gave me a headache because my brain constantly had to search for the clarity and crispness in the music... rock sounded downright muffled!...whereas on the SRH840 it was like someone took the wax out of my ears - especially in the midrange (and to a VERY mentionable extent, the soundstage) department. The bass on the M50s is more present but it isnt as deep, controlled or as punchy as the 840. Everything sounds more controlled, more airy, smoother/refined and just overall better on the 840s. The thing these headphones do best is sound like some of the very best open headphones even though they are closed. The instrument separation is some of the best in the dynamic headphone world I've ever heard and I really can't recommend these highly enough. Of course, this is just my opinion and someone I'm sure is typing a response right now to tell me I'm deaf but I hope it helped you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Great comparison!
I have the M50's and have found the upper mids to be ever so slightly 'veiled' as well (probably the dip between 5-6k... see below). Slightly recessed, but that is the only issue I have with them. Mostly they are great, fun cans.

I realize this is just a graph of just mechanical measurements... but... would you say it was an accurate representation of the comparison between the two? If so, how is that 9k spike?
wink_face.gif

graphCompare.php

cheers

shane

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 28
I loved the m50, but its very limited. I can make my 840 sound like the M50 via the right eq. I was unsuccessful at making my m50 sound like an 840 even with great EQ and amps. The m50s are just no where near as dynamic.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved the m50, but its very limited. I can make my 840 sound like the M50 via the right eq. I was unsuccessful at making my m50 sound like an 840 even with great EQ and amps. The m50s are just no where near as dynamic.

Having read much about these... I just ordered a set (of 840's).
atsmile.gif

Should be fun to compare once they arrive on Tuesday.

shane

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #23 of 28
I just purchased some 840's and am loving them! I just wanted to comment on the comfort of these cans:

I must be lucky because I have no issues with the headband causing pain on the top of my head. (although I can see how that can happen). My head must be shaped perfectly for these cans because I wear them at work for hours at a time with no issues. In fact, sometimes I forget I'm wearing headphones, they sit perfectly on my head.

From what I've read, this kind of fit is the exception, not the rule, as most people have problems with them fitting correctly...

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 28
^ my mod is immensely comfy and drastically reduced the weight. It's officially one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used after my mod. It also looks nicer and less goofy than originally, much more sleek and form fitted instead of thick and just out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

shame its not a popular thread, everyone is missing out on some serious comfort. Ah well, more for me i guess

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #26 of 28
-entire headband removed
-all useless plastic pieces removed
-plastic housing cover for the wire was removed and replaced
-memory foam strip added to the very top of the headband for wire protection
-SHURE label area on the original leather band was cut and reinstalled.

-it will be woodied in the near future :p

it has absolutely no padding where it rests on your head, even with that its currently one of the most comfy closed backs I've ever used. There is no pressure at all and it can be used for hours and hours without any annoyance. I'm going to install the Sennheiser HD 580 headband onto it, the results should be absolutely divine. I'll snap some pictures of it on my head when its done
smily_headphones1.gif
I think it looks a lot less GOOFY and bloated. There was no reason for that headband to be that big and heavy.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #28 of 28
I agree with you SWB, these cans are a bit goofy/big looking and feeling. I saw the mod you did and it looked great... however I am new to the headphone game and I think a mod like that would be above my head... bad pun

After reading your mod thread I am a little worried about the outside wires being damaged through normal use, but it does not seem that common. (knock on wood)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back