Shure SRH840 don't have any bass, can anyone help?
Feb 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

WTFiretruck

New Head-Fier
So I recently purchased Shure SRH840's and I am very split about the headphones. On one hand their mids and highs are absolutely beautiful and their clarity in the upper ranges is phenomenal. However, their bass is little to non-existent and it feels as though the range just doesn't even reach those lows you'd normally expect. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a bass head and I think a neutral pair of cans would be fine for me, but I listen to a lot of rock and even though the guitar sounds fantastic on some songs, once you get down anywhere near the lower ranges, the entire song just becomes terribly muddy to the point that my stock apple headphones do a better job(a prime example is Sound Of Madness by Shinedown and also I'm sorry to compare them to stock headphones, but I just want to make it clear about how terribly muddy it becomes). I have even tried using an EQ, but the effect is minimal at best. Can anyone recommend a pair of headphones that is close to SRH840, but has the ability to reach farther down? Hopefully they are not to far from the price of the SRH840's (about $200). I can return the Shure's within 14 days for a full refund so if anyone can make a suggestion, that would be great. Thanks!

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 6
4 questions.

1. Will they be closed-back or open-back headphones?
2. Are these for JUST listening purposes?
3. Are you going to go outside with them?
4. Over-Ear, In-Ear or On-Ear?

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 6
  How many hours of burn in they have? they probably need more hours. 

Not many since I just got them. After burn in will their performance increase that much? The return policy gives me 14 days, so I guess I can just leave them to burn in over night, but I'll have to return them if I can't see a sound quality increase soon.
  4 questions.

1. Will they be closed-back or open-back headphones?
2. Are these for JUST listening purposes?
3. Are you going to go outside with them?
4. Over-Ear, In-Ear or On-Ear?

1. I was originally thinking of getting closed-back, but I'd be willing to consider open-back
2. Yes, just for listening
3. I would like to wear them on the bus and on campus which is why I'm partial to closed-back, but if a certain open-back is good enough I'd be willing to just make them my "stay at home headphones"
4. Over-Ear most likely, but again I'd be willing to reconsider for an on-ear if it means guaranteed superior sound

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Try some pink noise from http://simplynoise.com/. It's best I know of for tightening up the bass. If that doesn't work, there are bass mods but I think you would be better advised to return it and buy a different model.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 6
For closed-back headphones, I'd recommend the ATH-M50x, of course they come out later this month. But they have detachable cables and improved earpads, which'll most likely improve audio quality. They cost about $169 on Amazon with free shipping I think. But if you don't wanna wait for it to release, then get the normal ATH-M50's as they prove to be superior.

For open-back headphones, I'd recommend the AKG K702 which cost around $244 on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back