Shure SRH840/440 vs Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Dec 29, 2009 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kugan

New Head-Fier
Despite reading all of the reviews and comparisons of these phones that I can find, I still don't know which to get.

Perhaps the most obvious reason why I can't decide is that I can't pick a musical style that I prefer. I mostly listen to symphonic music that has elements of electric/hard rock. Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Apocalyptica, etc. Beyond that, anything is fair game. I'm just as likely to listen to rock as I am to classical or electronica.

As far as the headphones themselves go, comfort is second only to sound quality. I know the SRHs are closed, while the AD700s are open, and I'm ok with that, it's really unimportant to me. Price is also of relative importance, but if it's worth the extra cost, then it's money well spent. With that said, I intend to use them unamped. At some point in the future, I may end up getting an amp, but it is unlikely, and it will not be in the near future.

Thanks for your advice in the past, and thanks in advance for your input here. Of course, if there are any other questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 12
I am interested to hear people's opinions on this.

I also recommend you look into the Denon D1001 (or creative aurvana live!, which is the same can).

course, I would assume the SRH840 wins when properly amped. But otherwise, it's up in the air for sure.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 12
So I managed to strike a deal and get the SRH840s for $99. I figured since I would undoubtedly end up getting the SRH840 cushions for comfort whether I got the 840 or 440, I'd rather save the $20 and get the 840s for the better price anyway. At that point, it was just a matter of deciding between the AD700s and the 840s, and that wasn't too difficult.

I don't expect anyone (or very many, at least) to tell me to, but I can still cancel the order for a limited time. Did I make the right choice?

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 12
For musical purposes, yes. SQ wise they're definitely superior than the AD700, having owned both headphones. They would scale much better if you decide to get an amp later as well. Only thing you're really losing out on is the soundstage and comfort.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kugan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I managed to strike a deal and get the SRH840s for $99. I figured since I would undoubtedly end up getting the SRH840 cushions for comfort whether I got the 840 or 440, I'd rather save the $20 and get the 840s for the better price anyway. At that point, it was just a matter of deciding between the AD700s and the 840s, and that wasn't too difficult.

I don't expect anyone (or very many, at least) to tell me to, but I can still cancel the order for a limited time. Did I make the right choice?

Can I ask how you got such a deal?

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 12
I paid 199CAN for mine. I find it hard to believe you got the 840's for that price.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Northern Sound and Light had them for $116. A personal friend said if I bought them he'd pay the other $17 (and shipping cost) on top of my $100 to listen to them when I wasn't. I probably should have said that in my post, but I didn't really think it was relevant. If you were to call NSL, they would say $116.

I apologize if my earlier post was misleading, I only meant to say that I paid $99 out of pocket, as my friend covered the rest. I also should have said that I had to get the 840s as part of the deal, to exclude the AD700s entirely, but that sounded awkward to me when I wrote it up.

TL;DR: They were 116 + shipping from NSL. Again, sorry if this appeared to be dishonest, I meant to say it was $99 out of my own pocket.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 12
lol @ apology

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back