Shure SRH440 w/ Brainwavz earpads
Mar 4, 2016 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drummerboy91

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Disclaimer: I am not an audiophile, but am someone who appreciates good equipment, sound, and music.

I recently swapped out my earcups for the Brainwavz memory foam ones and wanted to give my impressions. I have owned these headphones for almost 3 years now, so they've had enough time to settle in. When I first purchased the headphones, I quickly swapped the stock pads for the 840 pads, and that gave the expected results everyone else posts about. Fastforward a couple of years, and I wanted to try something new. There was nothing wrong with the sounds from the 840 pads, but I still wasn't satisfied with the comfort level (also this darn headband). I just recently found out about Brainwavz and decided to give it a chance.

I just installed these and I can say, the comfort is there. The swap was easy, although it's not as easy to install as the 840 pads. 

The Sound:

From what I've noticed so far, the soundstage seems to be a tad wider, there's definitely more bass, but the highs seem to be different on some songs. Since I'm not an audiophile, I don't really know how to explain the highs, but seems to have lost some sparkle here and there. The "chick" sound on hi-hat cymbals on some tracks have seem to have lost some clarity, but crash cymbals are okay. Sorry, I wish I knew more technical things to explain in more detail.

Comfort:

Great. I am comparing the memory foam to my Bose AE2 headphones because that's all I have as a reference. The foam on the Bose headphones are thinner, but still seems more comfortable to me, but that's probably due to the fact that they weigh nothing and that the foam is more dense. Compared to the 840 pads, these Brainwavz pads are so much better. There is less clamp feeling. I'm hoping these pads help a little with the discomfort from the headband. They also come in all different colors if you're into making your headphones stand out (I was tempted to purchase red for the sake of being obnoxious like that).

I recommend these if you just want to switch things up a little. I am definitely enjoying them MUCH more than the stock pads, but I ONLY switched to these from the 840 pads for mainly comfort reasons. Upgrading to the 840 pads is already enough for those who own the stock pads.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 3
Hello!

Disclaimer: I am not an audiophile, but am someone who appreciates good equipment, sound, and music.

I recently swapped out my earcups for the Brainwavz memory foam ones and wanted to give my impressions. I have owned these headphones for almost 3 years now, so they've had enough time to settle in. When I first purchased the headphones, I quickly swapped the stock pads for the 840 pads, and that gave the expected results everyone else posts about. Fastforward a couple of years, and I wanted to try something new. There was nothing wrong with the sounds from the 840 pads, but I still wasn't satisfied with the comfort level (also this darn headband). I just recently found out about Brainwavz and decided to give it a chance.

I just installed these and I can say, the comfort is there. The swap was easy, although it's not as easy to install as the 840 pads.

The Sound:

From what I've noticed so far, the soundstage seems to be a tad wider, there's definitely more bass, but the highs seem to be different on some songs. Since I'm not an audiophile, I don't really know how to explain the highs, but seems to have lost some sparkle here and there. The "chick" sound on hi-hat cymbals on some tracks have seem to have lost some clarity, but crash cymbals are okay. Sorry, I wish I knew more technical things to explain in more detail.

Comfort:

Great. I am comparing the memory foam to my Bose AE2 headphones because that's all I have as a reference. The foam on the Bose headphones are thinner, but still seems more comfortable to me, but that's probably due to the fact that they weigh nothing and that the foam is more dense. Compared to the 840 pads, these Brainwavz pads are so much better. There is less clamp feeling. I'm hoping these pads help a little with the discomfort from the headband. They also come in all different colors if you're into making your headphones stand out (I was tempted to purchase red for the sake of being obnoxious like that).

I recommend these if you just want to switch things up a little. I am definitely enjoying them MUCH more than the stock pads, but I ONLY switched to these from the 840 pads for mainly comfort reasons. Upgrading to the 840 pads is already enough for those who own the stock pads.

I was wondering if all Brainwavz HM5 pads can fit the 440s or are there a special size I have to look for...I am about to do the same thing, but the problem is that I have AKG K271 with HM5s and I feel that those ones would be a bit too wide to fit on my 440s. Dont want to buy the wrong pads

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 3
I was wondering if all Brainwavz HM5 pads can fit the 440s or are there a special size I have to look for...I am about to do the same thing, but the problem is that I have AKG K271 with HM5s and I feel that those ones would be a bit too wide to fit on my 440s. Dont want to buy the wrong pads
HM5 pads only come in the one size for oval and one for round. You choose the shape that matches your headphones cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back