Shure SRH440 vs SRH840?
Aug 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sony Slave

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know which one I should by, I already own the SRH440's, but they are broken because a child destroyed them.

So what are the differences, in the Highs, Mids, and bass. I heard the highs are rolled off, does this mean I will loose detail as a result of this?

Any advice would help.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 11
If you take a look at the frequency response measurements you can see that the 440 is bass light while the 840 is much more neutral from bass to treble.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2811&graphID[]=913&scale=30

The 840 is a definite upgrade.  I find the 440 tinny sounding as if the treble and midrange are coming through a tin can.  The pads are notoriously prone to decay.

You can read more reviews for the 840 here:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-srh840.php

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
If you take a look at the frequency response measurements you can see that the 440 is bass light while the 840 is much more neutral from bass to treble.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2811&graphID[]=913&scale=30

The 840 is a definite upgrade.  I find the 440 tinny sounding as if the treble and midrange are coming through a tin can.  The pads are notoriously prone to decay.

You can read more reviews for the 840 here:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-srh840.php

Thank you, I also did notice that my pads did start to decay, and they got harder at the same time.
eek.gif

I'm definitely saving my money for the 840's.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 11
Wouldn't do that if i was you. The 840's are only good within their own family camp, and yet which is better between the 840 and 440 is purely down to opinion, those graphs don't really demonstrate squat.
I deem the 440's better than the 840's.
There are many headphones of any brand that are cheaper priced in the range but sound better than their more expensive siblings, that is a proven fact, so you might want to think again before taking the advice of this 'one' person.
people around here laud the Shure 840 the way they do the Audio Technica M-50, and yet really both of them have severe shortcomings and are not all they're cracked-up to be.
The 440's might sound tinny in the top-end to him, but not to someone else, i have heard the 440's and they don't sound tinny at all to me, in fact, furthermore they sound a darn-sight better than the Audio-Technica M-50's all-round; moreover, even the best most expensive headphones in the world can sound tinny UNTIL THEY ARE AMPED. So try amping the 440's and then come back and give us your opinion, they are a damn fine headphone when amped, i use the FiiO E12 which turns most any headphone from a wild child into a sophisticated James Bond. Cheers.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 11
Alright, I'll look into to getting them used or refurbished on Amazon. I REALLY liked the SRH440  headphones, I just thought getting some used SRH840's would be worth while.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
To be honest look into better headphones, The 840 is just a side grade to the 440. The Soundmagic HP100 is an excellent phone with good bass response and good clear sound. 

The Soundmagjic HP100 looks really cool, the reviews seem promising. I'm an analytical listener so these headphones seem right for me. I'm just going to have to save my money even longer.

Do you happen to know of any alternative headphones with great mid's as well?

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
They really are fantastic, If you get them on amazon take advantage of their return policy! Other phones with great mids are 

AKG K550 - They are detailed with a wide stage, The mids are detailed and the bass is deep.
Denon D2000 - Discontinued but still attainable, These are fantastic if you can get them lower in price. Creamy, Detailed and big bass!
Mr Speakers Mad Dog- Probably the best closed headphone I have heard, Mids are thick, Creamy and detailed! Bass is powerful it's just a fantastic experience overall and one that everyone should experience.

All are easy to drive! The AKG and D2000 can be driven out of the source, The MD can be also but shines better with an amp.

My brother told me about this, how someone sampled various headphones for a period of time, and later returned them.

Maybe I could talk me brother into getting the Shure SRH840's and while I get the Soundmagjic HP100. That way, we can compare them side by side.

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 11
I've been using the srh 440 for a couple of years now with the 840 pads installed for comfort.
The 440 pads are way too hard.
Dollar for dollar, (for a neutral headphone), they can't be beat.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 11
  Go for 940! It is flat and very detailed. In fact, they are the most detailed from the entire SRH line(including SRH1840).

I currently have the 840's and had the 440's (they were broken by a child).

The 840's are better in every way, it sounds much more natural and less digital sounding. The sound is warmer and BUT  amazingly has more detail than the 440's.

Songs that were piercing and harsh are now tamed.
Songs that just didn't have enough bass, authority, and mass are brought to life.
I also noticed that vinyl sounds in tracks are much louder and clearer ( the popping, grainy sound), which is great.

Comfort wise they are pretty good, at least to me. I used to wear the 440's for long periods, and I could were the 840's all day.

Some say that the 840's are veiled, if you feel this way, I did a test buy swapping 440 ear pads to 840 headphones.
The 840 pads driver cover is thicker than the 440's buy a good amount.

The results

A large treble and mid range boost, the mids were so powerful that I could feel the vocals resonating in my head (which was a first).
The experience was great.

In short the Shure SRH840's  with SRH 440 pads sounded like the 440's but clearer, bolder, and  natural. There was also a loss in bass quantity with the 440 pads. 

I got the 840's for $160 total used on amazon, it included all accessories and a free straight cord.

The SRH840's  are a clear upgrade! 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back