Shure SRH440 vs Sennheiser HD280 Pro vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Grado SR60i vs Alessandro MS-1
Nov 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

juventino

New Head-Fier
I am planning to buy a headphone for use on my PC and cellphone. I am not a big fan of hip hop, so I'm bass neutral. I might occasionally listen to one or two hip hop hits. I usually prefer classic rock or music like kasabian, house, stuff like prodigy. Honestly I would listen to anything except romantic songs and girly pop songs.

Plus I would also use it to watch movies and tv shows. So clarity is very important. I'm not gonna be buying an AMP for the time being.

I'm gonna start gaming again but this is not as important as I might buy speakers in the near future.

I live in New Delhi, India so prices are gonna be different and there will be warranty issues for me.

As far as my knowledge goes the current prices are:

Shure SRH440 - Rs. 5,200  or $ 98  (comes with manufacturer Indian warranty)

Sennheiser HD280 Pro - Rs. 5,690  or $ 107 (comes with manufacturer Indian warranty)

Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Rs. 7,400 or $ 140 (comes with dealer warranty who is based in another city)

Grado SR60i - Rs. 5,150 or $ 97 (comes with dealer warranty who is based in another city)

Alessandro MS-1 - Rs. 5,615 or $ 106 (comes with dealer warranty who is based in another city)

I have no knowledge of highs, mids, lows etc. and not gonna bother to learn for a $125-150 expenditure. So I would be relying on you guys for info.

So guys which one is the best out of the above and why?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Well you want a quick answer? I would go with the SRH (Actually i already did order a pair)
SR60, tried them, most agree MS1 are better and i would have gone with this if i could do it over. But both are open so they are out.
I had the HD280 and they weren't anything too impressive, slash those out.

Leaves you with M50 and the 440, M50 known to have recessed mids and cost a bit more, you say you want neutral and that's what the Shure are supposed to be, as well as being closed for portability. Supposed to be good without an Amp but may even be better when you do get one. The warranty in your home country is icing on the cake.

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 13
Don't go with the m50. Hugely overrated. Their good but not $140 good.

I second the shure recommendation.

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Don't go with the m50. Hugely overrated. Their good but not $140 good.

I second the shure recommendation.

Hey what happened, not that long ago you said they were ok ~ you finally came around after a bit more
of a listen? 
smile.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Hey what happened, not that long ago you said they were ok ~ you finally came around after a bit more
of a listen? 
smile.gif

The m50s are good but they are very harsh. The sound quality isn't worth more then $150 and it's only a good deal at $100.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 13
Its now between Alessandro MS-1 and Shure SRH440 now.

@bcasey25raptor: You own the Alessandro's, how are they for xvid/mkv movies and tv shows? Someone somewhere had written that the vocals in the movies become really clear.

I won't be taking these headphones out of the house so I don't know if being open or closed would bother me. Again I have never bought decent headphones in my life so I don't know.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 13
The Alessandro ms1 performs well with movies. If you turn the volume up to high however they can become harsh. If isolation is not an issue I recommend them they are great rock however they may not be best with electronic though performance is adequate.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 13
So Alessandro MS-1i are out as well as the seller is out of stock. I am considering adjusting my budget for SR125i. How would they be for my usage? xvid/mkv movies, tv shows, classic rock, pretty much most kinds of music etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back