Shure SRH440 vs. Koss ProDJ100
May 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

STiMPUTELLO

New Head-Fier
Hi, i've recently been looking into getting an affordable set of full sized headphones after getting a pair of in-ear headphones that perfectly suit my needs (Brainwavz M4). From the title you can obviously tell I'm stuck between the Shure SRH440 with 840 ear pads and the Koss ProDJ100, that WILL be used with a Fiio E6 amp on my iPod Touch.  I just can't seem to put my finger on one pair that suits my needs.

I have a broad taste in music ranging from hip-hop/rap,techno,R&B, rock/classic rock.  I'm looking for a set of headphones with not too overpowering bass (prefer punchy) and good/decent mid's and high's.  

Comfort and portability are pretty important to me.

If you can recommend one of these headphones or any other headphones besides these two (under $100) that would be much appreciated.

May 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hi, i've recently been looking into getting an affordable set of full sized headphones after getting a pair of in-ear headphones that perfectly suit my needs (Brainwavz M4). From the title you can obviously tell I'm stuck between the Shure SRH440 with 840 ear pads and the Koss ProDJ100, that WILL be used with a Fiio E6 amp on my iPod Touch.  I just can't seem to put my finger on one pair that suits my needs.

I have a broad taste in music ranging from hip-hop/rap,techno,R&B, rock/classic rock.  I'm looking for a set of headphones with not too overpowering bass (prefer punchy) and good/decent mid's and high's.  

Comfort and portability are pretty important to me.

If you can recommend one of these headphones or any other headphones besides these two (under $100) that would be much appreciated.

DJ100 with M50 pads would be much more comfortable and more portable. They can even fold up slightly or the cups can lay flat.
I've found the SRH-440 and SRH-840 uncomfortable, but I think the M50 pads might fit the 440.

I haven't heard the SRH-440 enough to be able to compare their sound. I just know that I upgraded my SRH-840 to the DJ100. Some may prefer the Shure sound, but not me.

May 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 11
Agreed on the comfort issue with the 440s. Besides the shallow cups/pads, the headband is really thick and heavy and has absolutely no padding. Unless you have a small enough head, when you put the headphones on the headband tends to stretch flat and put lots of pressure on the top of your head. Not only is this uncomfortable, but for me was literally a source of excruciating pain. Then again, some people seem to be able to wear them for hours.

The bass is capable of lots of punch (depending on the recording or if you have access to EQ), but I found it to generally be a little weak in quantity as opposed to neutral as people often describe them. Mids are nice and clean. There's a big spike in the treble at 10 kHz and then no extension beyond that, making it sound a little hard or edgy.

May 5, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 11
I've found that the 440 with 840 ear pads are comfortable.  I don't have comfort issues with either Shure.  But then I find Grados to be reasonably comfortable and the AT ATH-A900 not to be.

The 840 is the best of the three and should be at it's price and place in the Shure roster.  It works slightly better unamped from an iPhone 4 over the Koss.

The 440 has more bass than the Koss and is a good little can in its price range.  The Koss is an almost perfectly placed and voice mid-centric can in and 2x its price range.  It's both fun and musical.  Of the three, it cries for an amp a bit louder than do the Shures.

I know tdock loves the ProDJ100 family and dislikes the Shure brand.  Fess up buddy!
L3000.gif

May 5, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I know tdock loves the ProDJ100 family and dislikes the Shure brand.  Fess up buddy!
L3000.gif

SRH-840 was an old favorite that I owned for 6 months and loved. Too bad it's comfort issues forced me to sell it. The Shure pricing annoys me. I can't believe the SRH-940 is $250-300!!
I would say that if the SRH-940 was around $175 I'd own one by now. Of course I think my KRK KNS-840/DJ1000 was better, so I had no reason to get it.

At least Shure fixed the comfort issues. SRH-940 was no problem for me. It seems too many headphones now are overpriced. SRH-940, K550 and now the $399 HD-600. Yuck.

May 5, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
How's the sound on your DJ100 vs the 840's?

SRH-840 is probably warmer and has more mid-bass. I'm going to say it might have similar forward upper mids like the DJ100, but I don't remember comparing them side by side.
DJ100 doesn't really sound like the SRH-840 and the DJ100 is a bit more clearer to my ears and a little easier on the ears.

SRH-840 has a pretty pathetic soundstage and the SRH-940 isn't much better. M50 isn't any better either.

I'm willing to bet money that the DJ100 has better sub-bass than the SRH-440 and sRH-840. No, not more bloated sub-bass, but better extension and that's fairly accurate.

BTW I do remember the SRH-840 having a fairly annoying mid-bass hump. Not as bad as the V6 though where it stuck out with almost everything.

May 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 11
The koss are the way to go. If you have small ears, the stock koss pads will fit just fine. With my small head, the are decent to moderately comfortable and with the mid-focused sound: they bring a beaufitul joy to my ears. The koss tbes1 or tony bennett signature edition are (when I got them, about a month ago), 76.00 shipped. They are the exact same as the koss pro dj 100 but with a carrying case, detachable cord and tony bennett's name on the side. Totally worth the extra $10.

Check these out, they are my go to portable phones.

May 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
How would you say the V-Moda Crossfade LP stack against both the Koss DJ100 and the Shure SRH440?  

Although their highs are recessed, the Crossfades are better (and different) than the other two.  However, they cost more; in the case of the 100's--a great deal more.

At the moment buy dot com has the 100's for $49.00 shipped:

http://www.buy.com/prod/koss-pro-dj100-professional-stereo-headphones/217088738.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back