Shure Srh440 vs Audio Technica m50 in terms of comfortability
Sep 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jmusic

New Head-Fier
Im looking to upgrade from my current headphones and was wondering to get the most comfortable headphones while getting great sound. I have read reviews on here saying that in terms of sound, both are similar but the ath m50 having an upper hand. However, in terms of comfortability, which pair of cans have the upper hand?? thanks in advance

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 10
shure has bigger earpads and clamp softer, but your ears will touch the inside driver grill of the shure, fees like the headphone lightly sits on your head
m50 has smaller earpads with a moderate clamping force, feels more like the headphone softly hugs your head

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 10
well.... yeah i would sum it up and say that the shure feels loose and easy on your head while the m50 feels snug and sercure  (not that m50 is bad, just tighter overall)

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Shures destroy the m50 in all areas including comfort and definitely in sound quality.

just except bass quantity (unless its the srh550djor something like that)

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 10
shure headphones have the absolute best detail of headphones of their respective prices, they often compete with headphones twice that price when it comes to detail

i wish my hd558 had the detail of my friend's srh940.... but then such a headphone would probably cost $500 or more with that kind of properties

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Both headphones are torture devices stock. Especially after a few months of use. The pads get hard, they don't adjust to your head anymore and so can't seal. They functionally have no headband padding. I'd say they both are overpriced headphones, but the M50 even more so.

The 440 can reproduce bass, they were simply tuned by Shure as studio monitors, which means a steep roll-off bellow 100 Hz. To do this they simply chocked the drivers. You can remedy that in a few minutes in a customizable and reversible modification.

I would recommend the 440 in the condition that you are willing to hack them and invest some 30$ more down the road in new pads. The 840's pleather and 940's velour ear pads are much more comfortable than the stock 440's. Replacing the stock headband rubber with one of Sennheirser's headband pads will transform those headphones from torture devices to one of the most comfortable headphone ever. You don't have to do all this out of the box. I went a year with the stock ear pads before they cracked and fell apart, at which point I bought the better quality and more comfortable 940 ones. I waited another year before I scrapped the stock headband in favor of the HD650's headband pad. In retrospect, I should have done that a long time before.

As for the cups being shallow, this too can be fixed with a small piece of 1/4" Styrofoam.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 10
For the SRH440, what I do is get one piece of toilet paper and fold it in in half. Tuck it under the earpad vertically and put the earpad back on. You can use two papers, but then you lose some isolation.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
For the SRH440, what I do is get one piece of toilet paper and fold it in in half. Tuck it under the earpad vertically and put the earpad back on. You can use two papers, but then you lose some isolation.

cotton works too, well actually anything that is soft and can be stuffed works
putting the stuffing at the back of the earcup (or at least more at the back) should improve soundstage too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back