Shure SRH440 vs. ATH M50
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jsreb

New Head-Fier
I'm new to headfi and this is my first post, but I'm not new to the audiophile world.  I just don't spend much time on forums.  I wanted to purchase some headphones under $200 for a good listening pleasure (not using for recording).

I know that there are a lot of threads about both of these cans but I'd like to get a more accurate opinion on my concerns.  I recently bought both to compare and although the srh440's are very uncomfortable and bass-light, they seem to have a more balanced response than the m50's.  When listening to the m50's, I would say that they don't have the clarity or balance (more v-shaped response) as the srh440's and therefore become a bit boring and unimpressive.  Granted these haven't had many hours of listening on them so the drivers aren't burned in too much, but I'm still stuck in a rut as to which to stick with. 

I know there's a lot of huge m50 fans on here who haven't had much other experience with quality headphones so I'd rather get a more unbiased opinion (if possible).

Has anyone improved the bass with their srh440's?  Do srh840 pads help with this?

And can I get some feedback as to what people prefer using the most unbiased opinions possible?
smile.gif

Oh and I also wanted to add that I was not too impressed with SRH840's in comparison to SRH440's.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 18
M50 is a well known v shaped cans, it will retain the sound sig even after burn in. I'm surprised that you like 440 more than 840, I thought that 440 has very narrow soundstage and sounds congested in comparison to 840.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 18
I agree with the lack of soundstage with the 440's but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they sound congested.This could probably be improved with some minor modifications.    The m50's sound more congested. I think a better opinion would be that I don't think the 840's are worth nearly $100 more than the 440's.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 18
Well yeah of course if you compare it to M50, there's absolutely nothing good that I could think of from that cans and about the diminishing return of headphone world, the higher you go up the more severe it'd be, srh440 to srh840 is still reasonable imho. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with srh440 pad swapping, hope someone who does can chime in.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 18
I would also like to point out that the m50's have poor sound isolation compared to the srh440's and srh840's.  Has anyone experimented with alternative pads (ie. srh840 pads or dt770 pads) on the m50's for improvements?

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 18
I swapped the original pads with 840 pads and liked it a lot!! Audible difference, more bass, sounds warmer and rounder, just better. While the pads were off I also taped a few of the holes around the driver shut. Massively enhances the bass, so I opened hem up gradually until I found the right amount of bass for me and that was closing 1 hole on each side of the driver, 2 per ear.

Love the sound of hem now and can only recommend changing the pads. Comfort is better as well with the 840 pads.

Cheers,
K

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 18
I swapped the original pads with 840 pads and liked it a lot!! Audible difference, more bass, sounds warmer and rounder, just better. While the pads were off I also taped a few of the holes around the driver shut. Massively enhances the bass, so I opened them up gradually until I found the right amount of bass for me and that was closing 1 hole on each side of the driver, 2 per ear.

Love the sound of them now and can only recommend changing the pads. Comfort is better as well with the 840 pads.

Cheers,
K

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 18
Do the m50's really "open up" after many hours of use?  Rock music does not sound well with them so far (after 6-8 hours of use).  The lows bleed over into the mids and present a messy sound.  Electronic music sounds good though.  The bass with hip-hop is good and clean.  Rock music and also piano and classical seem to be the biggest disappointments.  I can almost say that the sound is artificial.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 18
I had come across the reviews on srh440 and also have a plan to buy it. I felt the review on srh440 is very nicely done by Ostewart previously known as randomkid here. He has suggested some mod to improve bass and comfort. If i am remembering it right he had also mentioned about a headband replacement that can make it more comfortable.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 18
Very different headphones, The ATH are more musical than the 440. Technically the 440 is a better headphone for vocals and acoustic music. The M50 sound more congested and lack the detail of the shure but they are more fun. Soundstage wise both are comparable, No headphone will give a huge soundstage it's always either an in head experience or a lightly out of ear experience. Treble for me M50 it has a nice sparkle.

Detail SHURE
Bass M50
Mid range Shure
Soundstage equal
Treble M50 

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 18
They come off easily. Go for the shure 940 pads, Much more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back