Shure SRH440 vs ATH-M50
Mar 19, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, there's an SRH440 on sale right now in the for sale/trade section of the forum. Not sure if that's a good deal, but check it out:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/sh...y-left-478368/

I did find them cheaper online elsewhere, thank you though for spending time to locate that though
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #18 of 24
I had a SRH440 and currently have a M50. I agree w/ people here on SRH440 bass, it cut out toooo quick when reach down the low. Treble is quite harsh which causes listening fatigue after a long listening session.

You will want to upgrade SRH440 earpad to SRH880 earpad for a lot more comfort improvement. The earpad is around $18-20 so consider the cost when you go SRH440.

M50 bass blows SRH440 out of water. It's deep and tight and not as bloated as SRH440. The treble is smoother. Mid is slightly recessed but for the first headphone, you can live w/ it.

The earpad is more confortable.

I couldn't remember how SRH440's soundstage is but I believe M50 outperform SRH440 on that. I guess the same thing applies for resolving, imaging and analytical.

And those two cans *NEED* to be burnt-in. I'm not say you need 300 hours or more, it depends on how much you believe in burn in process but at least give your phones 80-100 hours to reach their potential.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #20 of 24
Both work fine without amp for ipods or zune players (I should get better music players
tongue.gif
)

Both are solid in terms of build quality. SRH440 doesn't have as much bass and is more neutral, I preferred it to the M50s. The price difference isn't that much SRH440 is about 80-100 at most places, M50s are 90-100. If you get the chance to try them out. If not you really can't go wrong with either.

Going off on a tangent:

I personally preferred the 440, I loved the sound on mine but I wanted to use it for portable use and indoor...needless to say that was ridiculously stupid of me. They work fine for portable use since they fold up and all, but I end up just using my jvc marshmallows modded instead. They are a little on the bulky side for portable use and I wouldn't recommend either to be moving around with.

EDIT: You can work around the coiled cable if you have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable. The proprietary cable that plugs into the cans looks like a 2.5mm plug.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TF2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want headphones and decided between these two because they look to be good for the price. I listen to Metal, Rock, Classic Rock, Trance, Techno, & House. Which of the two do you think would be better?

M50 without a doubt for your musical tastes. The 440 has no bass, which makes it less than ideal for all the genres you mentioned.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think for those types of music, you should check out SRH750 DJ first. Save up a little if you need to. They should have better bass extension than the SRH440 and better control than the M50.

Without the guesswork, I've tried all three and I will say this definitively:

The SRH750 is basically like the SRH440 with bass boost. And that's good, because the 440 was just too thin sounding. 750 fixes that problem and sounds mighty awesome.

I would actually recommend the 750 over the M50... I really like how the 750 sounds. It sounds... creamier than the M50. And a lot tighter, far more defined. M50 sounds just a little bit more congested, like it was in a box. 750 doesn't have that effect.

M50 though is still really good and I recommend it for the bass-heavy genres given (house, trance, etc.)

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 24
M50 FTW.

I listened to the 440 when shopping for the M50's, much prefer the M50's low end. And to support Palpatine, the M50's dont require an amp, but they do respond well to amping.

You'll be glad you saved your money for the better 'phones.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #24 of 24
I absolutely loved the sound of the SRH440s. I currently have the M50s, so I couldn't do a head-to-head comparison, but I just couldn't tolerate the discomfort of the 440s. The M50s are a lot more comfortable. If I could mate the comfort of my DT990 Pros/AD700s with the sound of the 440s, I'd be set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back