shure srh440 or something else?
May 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LIUZOMG

New Head-Fier
hi ppls ;D

im new to this forum so don't shoot me if i say something wrong -_-
so, i heard some great stuff about the srh440's.
But before i get them, is there anything else in the same price range (preferably lower) which is of the same or better sound quality? or are the srh440's a good choice

I listen to alternative, hip-hop, rap, electronica and rock but i'll also be using them to play guitar without disturbing the neighborhood :wink:
I prefer closed but i'll look into open. I'd just prefer not to be lectured on public transport about links between loud music and cancer or something like that

any advice would be great!

May 25, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 14
Wait, are you saying you are going to use them on the go? Then it is definitely a no no as the cord is just too big and uncomfortable.

May 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 14
Aren't the cables detachable and they are now selling straight cables (think its only a 2.5 - 3.5 cable if memory serves)?

May 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Aren't the cables detachable and they are now selling straight cables (think its only a 2.5 - 3.5 cable if memory serves)?

I'd still think they are too heavy for mobile use. But then again I didn't really like them, they are heavy(to me) and uncomfortable because of it. And the sound is just no fun IMO.

May 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 14
haha thanks for the responses

im considering using them but since it seems like they'll be uncomfortable.. ill stick to my meelec m11s and use headphones at home

is there anything else i should look at?

May 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 14
M50s depending on how cheap you can get them.

May 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 14
m50's sure look nice but the price tag is massive ;[ (hopefully i can find someone selling em second hand)

would the hd280s be good for everyday listening as well? (unamped into either my ipod classic or laptop)

May 26, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 14
The Shure SRH 440 are pretty nice.
I only heard them out of the box not burned in though.

The only thing I didn't really like was the pads being pretty stiff but I'm sure they would soften up.
Probably best to eventually buy some SRH 840 replacement pads though since those are really nice.

Anyways in my short listen they sound a lot like the SRH 840 just not as much bass and resolution.
But not exactly fair to compare a brand new out of the box 440 to a burned in 840 though.

And the SRH 840 is considered one of the best sounding closed backs headphones there is.
It just has some comfort issues for some.

You can buy the Shure SRH 440 at www.jr.com for $69.99 with a phone order. Thats a great deal.
And worth getting.

I thought the comfort was pretty decent for the 440 I have no complaints.

Sennheiser 280 has a insane skull crushing vice grip clamp.

I also thought the SRH 440 sounds better than the Audio Technica ATH AD 700.
Although with some stuff the AD 700 sound signature benefits better but in the long run the SRH 440 is better.

May 26, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
The Shure SRH 440 are pretty nice.
I only heard them out of the box not burned in though.

The only thing I didn't really like was the pads being pretty stiff but I'm sure they would soften up.
Probably best to eventually buy some SRH 840 replacement pads though since those are really nice.

Anyways in my short listen they sound a lot like the SRH 840 just not as much bass and resolution.
But not exactly fair to compare a brand new out of the box 440 to a burned in 840 though.

And the SRH 840 is considered one of the best sounding closed backs headphones there is.
It just has some comfort issues for some.

You can buy the Shure SRH 440 at www.jr.com for $69.99 with a phone order. Thats a great deal.
And worth getting.

I thought the comfort was pretty decent for the 440 I have no complaints.

Sennheiser 280 has a insane skull crushing vice grip clamp.

gosh i don't want to be in pain ==
do you know if jr.com ships to australia?

also has anyone had experience with superlux hd681? im now considering buying something cheap/decent for guitar and spending the rest on perhaps an iem such as the PL50

May 26, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 14
The Shure SRH440s are great headphones... I totally recommend them with the 840 pads as well if you can swing the extra cash for them. The 840's pads are a lot softer and "supple" as opposed to the slightly more hard pleathery feeling 440 pads. Shures full-sized headphones are vastly overlooked on head-fi. I personally have the 840s and consider them to be among the very best dynamic headphones out there.

May 26, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 14
ooo pm'ed a few people in the fs section (they sell at 135 in australia ;\ )
hope i get a reply soon!

about the srh840 pads, are they easy to fit on? (i dont own any headphones so im unsure of how it works haha) & where would i buy them from?

May 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 14
Yeah it's super easy they literally just slip right on. Anybody with any sort of adult motor skills will be able to do it without a glitch, I promise. You can order them directly from Shure or just search around they aren't difficult to find. Shure has a branch/distributor in Asia/Pacific and they can be contacted at info@shure.com.hk. They are located in Hong Kong but service the entire Australasian area.

On a side note, if it proves to be a bit of a hassle try them out with the stock pads first. The 840 pads are not a necessity just a luxury. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back