SHURE SRH440 melting with the Sony MDR 1R - The Master Comfort Mod
Nov 16, 2015 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Natsukawa

100+ Head-Fier
I did a lot of Mods with the 440 and 840, including a Beyerdynamic-Styled one but i was never 100% satisfied. Creaking Noises, too bulky to be portable (i only use the 440 and 840 as a portable, not at home) etc. Yesterday i was like "OMG lets get serious an do some crazy stuff ! "  . . . because i have enough of searching for the best portable for me, i'll do it myself. I had an unused Sony MDR 1R at Home (defective drivers) and i thought to myself: "Why not steal the housing of the most comfortable closed headphone that o know of . . . and use it for my SRH440?So i did it and i made some Photos for you guys, i hope you'll enjoy:

Please Click On the Fotos to enlarge them.

So first, i had to disassemble both headphones. That ist the Point of No Return because there is no access to the most important parts without destroying both headphones. OK, in case of the 440, its possible to do it wothout destroying but thats another story ;D  The Sonys can't be saved, so its irreversible for them:

There is a lot of Grinding-work to do, otherwise it won't fit into the Shure Earcups. To show off the difference: Left side grinded, right side un-grinded:

My Girlfriend had the idea to sew the cable onto the Head to prevent it from slipping:

I wanted easy and full access to the cable, so i had the idea to equip the Headband with a Zipper . . . i just didn't know how to make it, so my Girlfriend helped me out (she is very skilled in sewing & stuff). She was angry with me afterwards . . . she said "You should've told me, that you would apply the Red Brainwavz HM5 Pads . . . because a red zipper would look so sexy in combination!" I became sad, because she were right, but i think we're going to change the zipper soon:

Everythings works as it should, exactly like the sony original. Perfectly portable now, thanks to the flat-foldable mechanism. The Original SRH440 are foldable but not flat, so they are very bulky inside a bag etc. :

Finished, they look so beautiful with SRH840 Leatherpads . . .

. . . but i wanted them to be pure sex, so i applied Brainwavz HM5 pads in Red . . .

. . . isn't she beautiful? So my Search for my perfect closed Portable has come to an end and I'am more satified than ever, it's extremely comfortable, portable, stylish, practical and with no annoying creaking noises. What do you guys think? ;D

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 6
wow, very  cool
darthsmile.gif

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Hehe, thanks guys ;D  This time . . . i'm actually totally hyped myself, because i nevber believed, that this mod could work ~ and it does so well. I was chillin through the city today with those babies and it felt so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back