Shure SRH440 Impression
Dec 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #16 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by pasoleati /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense intended, but IMHO terms "audiophile" and "Japanese pop"/"electropop" do not belong on the same page. These terms are frankly mutually exclusive. And BTW, I did test the Shures yesterday with a bit more varied music (Howard Shore´s The Two Towers) and the performance was very good.

Some japanese music is recorded very well.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #18 of 427
graphCompare.php

So, I'll be posting another impression, but this time of the Sony MDR-XB700. The reason why I included this graph is that I got the chance to listen to the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 and was very impressed by the quality of sound. "My Will" by Dream sounded much better to my ears than on the Shure SRH440. The bass was full and warm and suffered no distortion. The high trebles and highs were not elevated but not recessed at the same time, which lent itself to an amazing listening experience.

The Bose had exactly the sound I was looking for, after I equalized it a little (and I really mean just a little, a 31, 62, and 125 Hz boost and it was perfect). Comparing the frequency response of the Bose to the XB700, I can't wait for them to arrive because the XB700 has even more bass than the Bose. Although, you can see that the frequency response of the XB700 dips below the competition around 1 KHz, but that's perfect for me because I end up lowering that portion when listening to music through the Shure SRH440.

As for the DT 770, it's included in there for all you BD fans, which I've never tried but I have heard that it's bass is superior to the XB700 (most reviews and impressions use amps, I want to know how they sound from an unamped, unequalized source). Frequency response is only 1 part of the whole picture of sound quality. Headphones can have identical frequency response, but completely different sound. So, I'm just hoping for the best.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 427
I thought SRH440 has rather nice soundstage and bass is definitely not distorted. Must be your source and/or music.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 427
Well, my source isn't the best but I checked to make sure the music I was listening to was recorded decently. I'm listening to my music unamped though. Also I like a lot more bass than most people XD, and these headphones can't come close to that amount without distortion (I might be a basshead, I won't really know until I try the MDR-XB700).

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #22 of 427
Quote:

No offense intended, but IMHO terms "audiophile" and "Japanese pop"/"electropop" do not belong on the same page. These terms are frankly mutually exclusive.

Racism is allowed now?
ph34r.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #23 of 427
Quote:

Could you please point out where did I claim that those two are not musical genres? Or that I denied anyone´s right to listen to them? It is just that an "audiophile" means a connoisseur to me and to me connoisseurs are seeking something more demanding that pop mp3 files. Just like automobile connoisseurs are more keen on Rolls-Royce or Ferrari than Toyota Yaris.

I have to back you on that one. Although there's nothing that bars J-pop and the like from qualifying as genres, I find that the songs are very badly mastered/executed. I can't stand listening to 'Don't Say Lazy' all the way through; it's just an overwhelming wall of sound, with every instrument going, at full capacity, for 90 percent of the song. When comparing this (also: 'Hare Hare Yukai' and 'Motteke! Serafuku') to modern Western rock or rather, 'light music' like 'D is for Dangerous' and 'Lucid Dreams,' the latter seems like a delicacy.

Anyways, I might get these soon regardless of this review. Even though I don't have any viable headphones to compare them with, I might write my own opinion of them.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #24 of 427
Quote:

No offense intended, but IMHO terms "audiophile" and "Japanese pop"/"electropop" do not belong on the same page. These terms are frankly mutually exclusive. And BTW, I did test the Shures yesterday with a bit more varied music (Howard Shore´s The Two Towers) and the performance was very good.

He has a point though. A lot of J-Pop, regardless of how high the sound quality, is brick walled. In my next review, I will make sure not to compare the three headphones (MDR-XD200, MDR-XB700, and SRH440) on any of my brick walled songs. But most of my songs, and I think all of my favorites, aren't brick walled. Susumu Hirasawa's songs are of high quality, and the MDR-XD200 sounded much better to my ears than the SRH440 in terms of bass presence and clarity. Even in "Tank!" the MDR-XD200 did a better job handling the bass (by bass, I mean both the sound and instrument) notes in the beginning.

So, it varies from the recording quality of the song, but overall, the Shure SRH440's can't handle a large amount of bass without distortion regardless of the quality of the song.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 427
They are not as good as the Denon D1001, which are similarly priced. In fact, I rarely even use my 440s. I ask myself what the hell would I want to use these giant hulking heavy uncomfortable cans that sound good when i can use my denon d1k which are lighter and more comfy and sound just as nice.

They take 2nd or 3rd place in the best closed backs for around 100 bucks IMO. they really hurt my ears something fierce.

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #27 of 427
I don't know if it's faulty or not, mainly because I don't know if they are supposed to sound any different. They don't crackle or pop or anything, they just don't have the "boom" bass (as opposed to "pop" bass) that I find enjoyable, like my MDR-XD200's did.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #28 of 427
Recieved my MDR-XB700
o2smile.gif
. Right out of the box, the bass is in your face and controlled. The reviewers were right, there is no distortion at high volumes. I'm hoping it will loosen up a little a bit with some burn-in. They beat the pants of the Bose QuietComfort 15 so far.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 427
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not as good as the Denon D1001, which are similarly priced. In fact, I rarely even use my 440s. I ask myself what the hell would I want to use these giant hulking heavy uncomfortable cans that sound good when i can use my denon d1k which are lighter and more comfy and sound just as nice.

They take 2nd or 3rd place in the best closed backs for around 100 bucks IMO. they really hurt my ears something fierce.

You haven't checked out the SRH840 that I had for a week,it sure sounded good (Neutral with good mid and high, what a monitoring headphone should do). But when you consider the weight that it puts on your head, you'll think twice, I returned it for a pair of sr225i which now to me sounds great but the much lighter weight is a huge plus as it adds to the overall comfort over a long session of listening.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #30 of 427
Well im not really an expert on headphones but first look at your source which is a integrated Conexant HD and a cell phone?...are you kidding me? no wonder the headphones sound like crap.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back