Shure SRH440 'Foam plug' mod
Jan 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 41
I did to rewire them- seems very similar if not identical to the 440. I lined my cups with matting and that did tighten things up a bit. Alas, the sound just isn't for me and I am selling them (cheap self promotion I know).

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did to rewire them- seems very similar if not identical to the 440. I lined my cups with matting and that did tighten things up a bit. Alas, the sound just isn't for me and I am selling them (cheap self promotion I know).

Great, just what I was guessing. But they cannot be identical since they sound quite different. I don't think it's a different driver though, so I'm wondering what else it could be...

Do they also have the foam plug and the hole above it?

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a different driver though, so I'm wondering what else it could be...

Not sure what gives you this idea, it certainly goes against all common sense. Even drivers that appear the same can have vastly different builds at the magnet/coil/tolerance level. However it is possible that you are correct. It just seems highly unlikely.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #19 of 41
fireismind, the nearly identical measurements (impedance, distortion, even FR shows similar characteristics) gave me that idea.
There are quite a few headphones with the same drivers out there...

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #20 of 41
Well sorry for reviving this old thread, but I just tried this mod out of unquenchable curiosity.

The result are more interesting. I kept my SRH440 to listen to hard rock and metal, since I find they just sound more engaging than the treble-oriented Q701 for those genres. The drum has better crunch and low guitar notes more rumble than on the Q701.

I like to describe sound using the position of the listener relative to the band, and the difference in sound this modification brings can't be explained more accurately. The stock SRH440 always make me feel like I'm sitting on the middle of the stage with the mic stand of the singer right between my legs. Removing the plugs in the middle of the drivers is like moving behind the singer and sitting right in front of the kick drum. The drum steal the show. Everything else gets... second thoughts. Except maybe bass guitar, but that's to be expected in metal and rock.

When there's no kick drum or heavy bass guitar, you probably won't hear the difference. But when kick drum hits the first few times, followed by low bass guitars notes, you'll raise an eyebrow, I'm sure. The low frequencies are a lot more present without the plugs. I'm talking between 40 and 100 Hz. I am rediscovering my metal and rock albums and hearing new stuff that wasn't there before. At first it's weird, I can see how some people would turn away from the new sound. It can sound boomy and overwhelming on some tracks. I love the SRH440 for their balanced sound, but I feel like removing the plugs ruins that balance. I'll keep the plugs out for a few weeks until I get used to the bass. I'll then place them back in and see what I prefer. I might try to cut the plugs in half and see if I get a sound somewhere in between.

I did find something I thought some of you might find interesting. I never understood how the FR charts of Headroom and Golden Ears could be so much different, especially bellow 150Hz.

Well I think I now know how... From Golden Ears's page :
 Note.
Please keep in mind that the following data are from a test unit reviewed by Golden Ears - the test unit is not necessarily a representative sample of the model being reviewed.

Here's my theory : Golden Ears reviewed a unit that didn't have the plugs inside the drivers.

May 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #21 of 41
Just tried this mod and i can say there is a lot more bass now, but the bass is a bit more bloated imo. Overall, i think the sound is slight warmer and more laidback, but i miss the "in your face" type of sound, it somewhat sounded a bit less detailed to me, so i put it back.

May 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 41
Hmm, I think I just figured why I'm not having the same results as everyone else. I actually have the SRH940's velour ear pads on my 440. I often read that velour pads eat up the bass on headphones... Although the 940's pads aren't all velour. The inside of the pads are made of pleather. There's also 4 holes into this pleather part, which I believe are bass ports. The pads are also softer, making a much better seal. Add all this together, and this might be why I'm not getting bloated bass. The bass is actually quite tight. Thumping but tight.

But then we might have different definition of bloated bass. I once listened to a pair of AKG K240 MKII. It was a disturbing experience. Ever since, This is my yard stick for "bloated bass"

I still have the stock pads. Although they are lightly damaged, I might be able to swap them back on for a listen...

Edit :  Forgot to add. Yes, after a month, I still have this mod applied. And yes, I love the sound.

May 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 41
Btw i use my 440 with srh840 pads, it's slight bassier and has less treble in comparison to the stock ones. I admit it was fun in the beginning, but on some songs the amount of bass was way to much for my taste, i think it somewhat ruined the balance of the srh440, or maybe i got used to the bass light nature of the 440 and thought it was a bit more bloated without the foam.

My reference for "bloated bass" is my Koss PortaPro, that thing has a lot of bass, the srh440 (840 pads) without the foam still has much tighter bass btw.

Maybe i will try this mod again just for fun 
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #24 of 41
I'm curious what removing the foam but putting a piece of micropore (or other breathable) tape behind the driver would do. If I had one on hand, I'd also stick a circle of hole-punched dynamat on the driver, then put the micropore on top (or maybe glue down a felt or something similar)

May 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:
I'm curious what removing the foam but putting a piece of micropore (or other breathable) tape behind the driver would do. If I had one on hand, I'd also stick a circle of hole-punched dynamat on the driver, then put the micropore on top (or maybe glue down a felt or something similar)

The AKG Q701 has such a breathable material where the SRH440 has a plug. I removed the material from the Q701 and noticed a difference in sound like what is observable on the SRH440. Though the difference was a lot more subtle. This material was highly breathable and barely a mm thick.

I think any material will resist the flow of air, lowering the bass response. The thickness of the material should have a greater effect than it's nature... unless you use something that simply doesn't breathe, of course. 

For example, cutting one of the foam plug in half and inserting one half into each driver of the SRH440 should give you something in between having the plugs or having none. That's another experiment I've yet to try.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #26 of 41
Guys I found something out that I registered to let you guys know

there is a white circle of tape covering a number of holes around the driver. it looks like they glued it on there but its removable
it's for the bass to operate, you could see it in the pictures stuntman franky uploaded
and I have noticed that by removing it the bass just disappears
feels like you have an onboard sound card lol
(i got bored... don't ask)

THIS WORKS
take out that part
take white cotton (the one you use for scrubbing alcohol before shots)
prepare these little balls of cotton
and with a q-tip or something similar push lightly until it sits just right
be careful not to make them too little or too bog
close it and enjoy bass like its supposed to be
I was shocked at the hammer of bass that hit my skull.
it adds like a subwoofer feel too

for any tips or an idea for better material reply
cause i love these cans

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #27 of 41
I'm not sure I follow you. You remove the whole white tape and fill the cup with cotton? Or do you fill the holes under the white tape with small cotton balls?

It's quite simple why you get no bass when you remove this tape. This tape creates a resonant enclosure, without which the driver is basically free to air. The hole in it acts as a bass reflex port. Ideally, this part was tuned by Shure for linear frequency response with as little distortion as possible. I just don't see how removing it would be a good idea.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #28 of 41
each hole individually.

the bass does take over the mids and highs a tad, but there is no distortion
i can hear lower frequences much better, but i think foam would fill the holes and let the bass breathe more
i'll try it

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow you. You remove the whole white tape and fill the cup with cotton? Or do you fill the holes under the white tape with small cotton balls?

It's quite simple why you get no bass when you remove this tape. This tape creates a resonant enclosure, without which the driver is basically free to air. The hole in it acts as a bass reflex port. Ideally, this part was tuned by Shure for linear frequency response with as little distortion as possible. I just don't see how removing it would be a good idea.

each hole individually.

the bass does take over the mids and highs a tad, but there is no distortion
i can hear lower frequences much better, but i think foam would fill the holes and let the bass breathe more
i'll try it

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #30 of 41
Funny, I was messing around with those holes the other day. I didn't like the sound with foam plug out.
I have tissue paper stuffed inside the earcup hoping it would block outside noise better since I use these at work. Not sure if there is more bass, but when I landed on this song, I was impressed with bass on the SRH440. Or maybe the bass was always like this? Haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc9zn6lr6DM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back