Shure SRH440/840 Cable Replacement (Not Shure-brand limited)
Sep 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

koreanhendrix93

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I was getting tired of using the stock coiled cable that I find to be a bit too heavy when using it for portable use. Yes, the 440 with the 840 pads are my only pair of cans so far, for all uses. At home I use them with my Musical Fidelity X-Can v2.

Is there an alternative to such?

It looks like, from photos, that the AKG Q460 cable has a similar design to the 440/840 cable, but I'm hesitant in buying it and am wondering if anyone has tried it.

In fact, would anyone know the size of the cables (in terms of input). Clearly, one of the male ends is a 3.5mm jack, but I'm wondering if the other side (the smaller one that locks in) is  2.5mm. If it is, has anyone tried using 3.5mm to 2.5mm cables (both male)?

These are wonderfully constructed headphones with great sound quality (at least for a non-audiophile like me).

I would appreciate all feedback.

Cheers,

Julian.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 6
There's the shure straight cable(still very long though). Product code is HPASCA1. Otherwise you could try making your own cable. The little jack is a 2.5mm.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, I'm aware the other straight cable exists and it's way too long, even still haha.

If it's a 2.5mm jack, although you wouldn't have the twisting option, could you throw in a 2.5mm to 3.5mm (both male) plug and would it work?

I suck at DIYing and I'm a poor college student haha. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks a lot;

In fact, this is what Shure says on their FAQs (after digging around more):

"The connection at the headphone is a 2.5 mm plug/jack. The locking mechanism is unique to the Shure cable.  The opening in the headphone has a restriction of 6 mm in diameter so the mating 2.5 mm plug must have a diameter of less than 6 mm."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back