Shure SRH240s or Sennheiser HD 205s?
Feb 27, 2010 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

leonzill

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm really new to the audio world, and would like to just start off small. Right now I can only spend around the $50 USD range, and I'd just like to know which of these two headphones is better. Of course, if you have a better suggestion, please let me know. I much prefer the closed-back, circumaural style, and I mainly listen to rock, hip-hop, and electronic (drum & bass and electro house mostly). These will mostly be for portable audio (right now just an ipod nano, but I'm definitely looking to upgrade somewhere in the near future) and listening on the computer.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 10
Thank you very much for the suggestion. These don't really seem to be the style I'd like, but I'll definitely think about them since I've seen a few people discussing them on these forums.

Also, how are other models of AKG around this price? I've heard with the AKG brand it's really a hit-or-miss thing. Do you have any experience with the K99s?

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Well, I haven't tried the K99s though. But my first pair of decent headphone was PortaPro, the next one was AKG K81DJ. I have to tell you it's worth the experience. "Drum, bass and electro", this baby handles these very well.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 10
the senn hd205 sounds horrible. shrill highs and mids, thudding mid-high bass. there's a reason there were a few hundred of these for 8$ on ebay

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 10
If you want the SRH240, might as well go to the SRH440. So much better.

There is also the Creative Aurvana Live! (CAL!). Same drivers as the D1001, BUT $55 from Costco.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 10
In case you haven't decided yet: i'm going to echo iHelp's suggestion. I have had the Denon D1001's for about a year. About two months ago the jack broke, and I just now got around to recabling them. They are and were wonderful headphones, small but still circumaural, sensitive and easy to drive, and have a really fun sound. They can definitely be beat, but not for the $55 deal @Costco.

Psst, $50 is the least I would pay for a pair of headphones. Some of the best deals exist in the $50 to $150 range.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 10
If you would like to stay in budget, go for the iGrado's, if you plan to use them with your mp3 player or ipod. The sound is good for a pair of headphones on the price range, bass is punchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back