Shure SRH1840: Review
Jul 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Actually, if you look around you can pick them up for around the USD 500 mark (which is where I personally think they should sit).  And at that price they are (IMO) very good value.  I enjoy mine.  Can I take it that you haven't heard them yet?

Yes and No , from where I come from there are a handful of companies whose headphones you can try out.
Shure is one of those , before I bought my 650's I was keen on getting the 1440's which at that time looked so freaking awesome , when I tried it at my headphone guy's store I was shocked by realizing how amazing they were but the brightness was too high which I found too be a bit harsh sounding to my ears.
On the other hand I really digged the signature of the the 650's , being colored they just have that sound which I prefer.
Also a major let down was that the Shure's were around 650 USD (1440's that is - yes no kiddin) here in India and I was able to get the classics that is the 650's for 480 USD which is cheaper than the price currently offered on Amazon , this was a real big deal for me.
Also the the 650's scale up better because of their higher (or lower - I am confused) damping factor (Right ?)

BTW - The 1440's were hooked up to a Oopo A/V receiver I will do an update of the exact model soon :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 22
I love the Shure 1840's.  They do nothing wrong; they get lots right; they are supremely comfortable, and if  you look carefully and are lucky you can pick them up at a great price.

They're kind of like the Volvo of the headphone world - admitting you own them and love them is a little tough, but in your own mind you know just how good they are.

They are my No 2 headphones, (after my HD800's)

Bob

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 22
  I love the Shure 1840's.  They do nothing wrong; they get lots right; they are supremely comfortable, and if  you look carefully and are lucky you can pick them up at a great price.

They're kind of like the Volvo of the headphone world - admitting you own them and love them is a little tough, but in your own mind you know just how good they are.

They are my No 2 headphones, (after my HD800's)

Bob

How would you compare them to the HD800 in: highs, mids, bass and soundstage??  

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 22
Can anyone compare the sound signature between SRH-1840 vs the legenadry Sony MDR-7520?

Which cans is more superior in term of :

- Detail/micro detail
- Sound stages/3D imaging/ layering
- Vocal/instrument separation
- Depth/rich details
- Fast, deep, extended, punchy, non-rolled off bass

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #20 of 22
I just picked up a pair of 1840s. I was almost sure I was going to get HD700s, but the Shures beat them out handily in my listening tests, along with RS2s, EL-8s and DT-990s/880s. They really have a nice, natural, airy sound, and they layer voices and instruments beautifully.

I made no attempt to compare them to HD800s, LCD-2s, T1s, or higher Grados, since they were all beyond my price range, but I think these will satisfy me for a while at least! For the record, I'm primarily listening to them through a NuForce Icon HDP, though in a pinch I'll use them straight from an iPhone 5s (sound stage, imaging, and bass extension all are worse, but it gets by).

Finally, I could use a 2nd amp, since the receiver in my livingroom (a Denon 3808ci) has a very high headphone impedance. Any suggestions for something < 300 that pairs well? (Used is fine.)

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #21 of 22
I recommend the cotton ball mod. You cut cotton balls in half and make the ear cups expand 1mm-3mm. Say 7-10 cotton balls. Increases sound stage and bass. I've also experimented used Beyerndynamic dt 880 ear pads. Hope to get a upgraded cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back