Shure srh1540 vs Oppo PM-3 vs ZMF Classic (mk3)
Apr 21, 2017 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Spaceman24

100+ Head-Fier
I had started a thread titled "Best Closed Cans ~$300", but after even more research/reading reviews I've narrowed down my options to the Shure SRH1540, Oppo PM-3, and ZMF Classic (mk3). I was also considering the Ultrasone Performance 880, but multiple reviews complained about fairly bad sibilance and I don't want to take that risk. Unfortunately I can't find ANY real reviews on the ZMF Classic (must be very new?) but the way they are described sounds like they'd be a good fit for me (also great price so i don't have to buy used). Also, I don't want to invest a ton (or anything ideally) in a DAC/amp to make my cans listenable (running off iPhone 7+ and PS4). I'd consider an inline dac/amp like the AQ Dragonfly or Shanling UP, but that just stresses the budget even more. I believe the Shure has the edge in the easy-drivability area, but I'd appreciate more input on this.

My preferences:
I'm looking for a balanced sound with deep sub-bass extension and texture/rumble. Guitars should have good "crunch" and male vocals should not be hollowed out. Basically, a natural sound that works well with rock and hip-hop (not bloated or super emphasised mid-bass though). Soundstage and imaging is important since these will be extensively used for gaming as well.

Thanks to all who can point me in the right direction! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back