Shure SRH1540 Review
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #2,641 of 2,672
I tried damping the cups some Noico butyl rubber I had around. While it certainly smooths out the bass response, it seems to add sibilance. I prefer the sound without the damping material. I also tried using creatology foam instead and the results were similar.

I think damping on or around the driver would do something, but it doesn't look like there's a good way to do it due to the mounting design.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #2,642 of 2,672
I am just curious. What are the most high-end, expensive cans your Shure SRH1540 headphones have bested? Yes, I realize we all hear differently.

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #2,643 of 2,672
I am just curious. What are the most high-end, expensive cans your Shure SRH1540 headphones have bested? Yes, I realize we all hear differently.
Never had it best any of my high-end cans for pure sound quality. The SRH-1540 lacks technical ability to compete on pure sound quality (dynamics, resolution etc.). Their main strength is comfort, being light weight and having a quite good frequency response with a moderate price. Most high end closed backs weigh in the range of 380-500 grams while the SRH-1540 weighs in at less than 300 grams. It becomes noticeable if you use it for an entire workday.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #2,644 of 2,672
None. Perhaps the SRH1540 is much less annoying than the LCD-XC without EQ, but on a technical level it's not even a comparison. The Shure just doesn't have a reedy midrange and crispy upper treble. $50 headphones don't have those issues either.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #2,645 of 2,672
The 1540's biggest issue is the mid-bass hump which can bleed into the mids. The cups need some kind of dampening to tune that out, it's just a question of figuring out how much. If I had access to a measurement rig I'd do it myself, but unfortunately I don't.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #2,646 of 2,672
None. Perhaps the SRH1540 is much less annoying than the LCD-XC without EQ, but on a technical level it's not even a comparison. The Shure just doesn't have a reedy midrange and crispy upper treble. $50 headphones don't have those issues either.
I guess we all have different tastes or hearing. I didn't care for Meze Empyrean headphones, but really like the SRH1540 headphones. AKG K812 were a bit bright. I enjoy Meze 109 Pro, but still listen to Shure more.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #2,648 of 2,672
So, who has listened to Shure SRH1540 headphones and Meze 109 Pro headphones?

Jan 26, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #2,649 of 2,672
I guess we all have different tastes or hearing. I didn't care for Meze Empyrean headphones, but really like the SRH1540 headphones. AKG K812 were a bit bright. I enjoy Meze 109 Pro, but still listen to Shure more.
I think this was an attempt at "giant killing" which I think is a major problem in this hobby as it's a reverse snobbery race to the bottom. I bet there are cheaper Shures they trade blows with the SRH1540. And even cheaper ones that trade blows with the cheaper ones.

The SRH1540 probably has more a complete sound signature out of the box than the LCD-4. But go ahead and apply EQ, and the LCD-4 becomes a better value than the SRH1540 (yup).

But yes, invoking the AKG K812, I am sure the SRH1540 sounds better than many more expensive, universally reviled headphones.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #2,650 of 2,672
I think this was an attempt at "giant killing" which I think is a major problem in this hobby as it's a reverse snobbery race to the bottom. I bet there are cheaper Shures they trade blows with the SRH1540. And even cheaper ones that trade blows with the cheaper ones.

The SRH1540 probably has more a complete sound signature out of the box than the LCD-4. But go ahead and apply EQ, and the LCD-4 becomes a better value than the SRH1540 (yup).

But yes, invoking the AKG K812, I am sure the SRH1540 sounds better than many more expensive, universally reviled headphones.

Great point. Please allow me to share my experience. The SRH1540 was my entry point to this hobby. And yes, I got many WOW moments in my first listening sessions, 4 years ago.

But fast-forward, I always find something off every time I wear these now and then. However, the weirdness always go away after 2 or 3 tracks, and then it is just bliss -- conditioned to the tracks I am used to listen, of course. My ears adjust, in other words.

Everyone expectations is different. Hence, since I am a midbass wh*re, these Shures is everything I need to deliver me a good experience. And with that sentence, it is probably time to stop this post. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #2,651 of 2,672

Well said. It's weird how obsessed people have become with the, "KILLS THINGS AT 34345345x THE PRICE" meme. I mean, I get it. We all want value for the dollar. But let's try to dial back the hyperbole just a bit.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #2,652 of 2,672

My two favorite headphones currently are Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones and Shure SRH1540 headphones. I always listen balanced. I did not care for Meze Empyrean headphones or HD650 headphones. I just keep coming back to my two much cheaper pairs. Maybe my attitude will change on Meze 109 Pro when I get a Fiio R9. I have at least fives times the listening time on my Shures.

Here I am again. The Meze and Audio-Technica headphones have been put away. Back to Shure...

The Sony NW-WM1Z DAP seems to play extra well with these. The synergy is off the charts.

20240128_184741.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #2,653 of 2,672
I just picked up some new leather pads for the SRH1540. They're sold as "Earsoft Replacement Ear Pads Cushions" Type 2 on AliExpress. They cost about $10 shipped. The quality and fitment is excellent. You could have easily fooled me into believing they're OEM pads.

So far, my impressions are somewhat mixed. There seems to be overall less resonance in the mid-bass and the treble is less spiky/ringy. It's especially noticeable on voices, where a lot of the sibilance and nasaly tone that could sometimes be a problem appear to be mostly gone. On the flip side, there is a bit of overall loss in treble detail/extension. There's no free lunch.

Isolation and comfort are both a bit worse. It also seems harder to get a really good seal.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #2,654 of 2,672
@Quadfather (I still remember that lovely pic you shared in the closed back thread with your 4 sons :beerchug: ) and other people of this thread: I'm new to this club, waiting for one unit I recently saw in the classifieds and I couldn't resist at 200 € :L3000:

I will post my impressions when I receive them... Right now, I'm enjoying a lot my new Senn HD 58Xs, I adore :relaxed:

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #2,655 of 2,672
I've made some changes to my audio setup at the office. I was using a Schiit stack with a Beyer DT150 headphone. Now I'm rocking an iFi Signature Finale and I'm going to see how my 1540 feels being my office headphone for a while. It's a good synergy, the 3D iFi special sauce really lifts the veil off the highs and adds some openness to an already pretty open-sounding headphone. Sounds almost speaker-like, which is particularly impressive to say of a closed-back.

I don't know if the iFi ear candy like XBass and this 3D stuff are anything more than just glorified EQ profiles, but whatever they are, they're nice. Especially at the office where I don't have admin rights to install EQ on my PC to do it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back