Shure SRH1540 Review
Apr 13, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #2,611 of 2,678
Apr 14, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #2,612 of 2,678
I have had them for a long time, I only listen to them. Want more bass. Does anyone know where the bass is more in the dt770pro 250 or shure1540?

To my own listening, the SRH1540s have more bass in the region 150-300Htz, and the DT-770s (250ohm) provide more extended bass in the region 20-150Htz. I would rate the Shures as warmer.

Apr 14, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #2,613 of 2,678
I really dig these. The imaging is kind of insane for a closed back, I’ve never experienced anything quite like it.

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,614 of 2,678
I really dig these. The imaging is kind of insane for a closed back, I’ve never experienced anything quite like it.
Me too.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #2,615 of 2,678
Circling back after a few weeks of listening, these are very weird. I like them, but I absolutely would not mix music on these, there’s a bit of extra energy in the upper mid range that would still make these good for tracking or monitoring yourself in the studio, if they are way too dark to trust the mix, so it’s a bit surprising they are marketed for that.

Having said that, they have become my absolute favorite way to listen to most rock genres. While they start to sound bloated and muddy with EDM and some R&B, the bass boost really suites rock well, and the rest of the frequency range still sounds really nice. I’m treble sensitive so I like the linear downward slant the frequency response has.

I’m still really impressed with the imaging that these have. They are also impossibly comfortable, both because of how light they are and how nice the pads are. These are gonna be my daily “chill out and relax” pair.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #2,616 of 2,678
Circling back after a few weeks of listening, these are very weird. I like them, but I absolutely would not mix music on these, there’s a bit of extra energy in the upper mid range that would still make these good for tracking or monitoring yourself in the studio, if they are way too dark to trust the mix, so it’s a bit surprising they are marketed for that.

[…]

Personally, I’ve never seen any suggestion by Shure that the SRH1540s were to be used for studio work. They are tuned very differently from the SRH940s, which are labeled by Shure for studio work.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #2,617 of 2,678
Couple of days ago I bought cheap little DAC/AMP just for testing with my 1540, it's topping dx1.....I do not know how they did it, but I'm now selling my topping d10s & Atom AMP+ stack and Fiio btr5 )))
This little USB powered ****er for 99$ (bought it for 80$, used) just sounds fantastically musical, precise and energetic.

It also has one more strange property, but I know you wouldn't believe me, so I would dismiss it for now.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #2,618 of 2,678
Personally, I’ve never seen any suggestion by Shure that the SRH1540s were to be used for studio work. They are tuned very differently from the SRH940s, which are labeled by Shure for studio work.
I dunno, both Shure’s official website for the model says it’s intended for engineers and Sweetwater is marketing them as ideal for studio monitors. Most retailers have some sort of language saying they’re intended for studio use.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,619 of 2,678
I dunno, both Shure’s official website for the model says it’s intended for engineers and Sweetwater is marketing them as ideal for studio monitors. Most retailers have some sort of language saying they’re intended for studio use.

You must not have noticed that Shure described the SRH1540’s bass as “warm”, which it very definitely is…

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #2,620 of 2,678
You must not have noticed that Shure described the SRH1540’s bass as “warm”, which it very definitely is…
Believe it or not, the Meze 109 Pro headphones have more thump. They are also clearer, more expansive, and do well at moderate to higher volumes. They're also substantially more money, especially with the Meze copper upgrade cable.

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #2,622 of 2,678
Very comfortable, love the pads. Punchy and well-extended bass, tremendous mid detail, above-average soundstage width for a closed-back. Despite the good soundstage, though, muffled highs (and this is coming from someone with treble sensitivity).

Pretty high (99db) sensitivity, so on paper the Qudelix should be fine, especially if you get a balanced cable. But the cable situation is by far the biggest downside for me with this headphone. The stock headphone cable is pretty nasty and there are no third-party providers outside of custom cable makers.

All in all, I got a balanced cable and hooked them up to my Liquid Gold amp the other day and was having an absolute blast. I have a lot of really good dynamic closed-backs in my collection that I absolutely adore, so it's hard for me to say the 1540 is in my favorites list, but at the very least I do enjoy it greatly when I listen to it.

My favorite dynamic closed-backs are the E-Mu Teaks and the Thinksound OV21, which are very V- and honestly more like U-shaped headphones with pretty extraordinary bass and highs, but fairly recessed mids. The 1540 is more of a \-shaped headphone. Huge bass, big mids, recessed highs. I usually prefer the V-shape more than the \-shape, apparently, so the Teaks and the OV21 get more head time for me. But when I'm in a mid-forward mood, these don't disappoint at all, give me great fun, and of the three headphones I've mentioned, the Shure is definitely the most comfortable.

Considering the price range of the competition I'm comparing it against, $350 is a pretty good price. Used market has these around $200-$250 usually.

Hopefully that's enough information for you to judge whether or not the price makes them worth it for you.

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #2,623 of 2,678
I wish someone can do a comparison of the 1540 and the DT770 80 ohm. I think I'd like the Shure but I've read some people say they can be a bit fatiguing at times. I own the DT770 and really like them, they're not fatiguing for me personally, the bass is immensely enjoyable too.

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #2,624 of 2,678
I wish someone can do a comparison of the 1540 and the DT770 80 ohm. I think I'd like the Shure but I've read some people say they can be a bit fatiguing at times. I own the DT770 and really like them, they're not fatiguing for me personally, the bass is immensely enjoyable too.
I don't own the DT770 so I can't do the comparison, but the SRH-1540 can be fatiguing if you play at very high levels. At moderate to high levels they are fine. If you are the type that always listens at close 90db or more then you should probably skip the 1540. Personally I don't find them fatiguing for my use case which includes many different types of music, but I mostly listen in the 70-80db range with headphones.

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #2,625 of 2,678
I don't own the DT770 so I can't do the comparison, but the SRH-1540 can be fatiguing if you play at very high levels. At moderate to high levels they are fine. If you are the type that always listens at close 90db or more then you should probably skip the 1540. Personally I don't find them fatiguing for my use case which includes many different types of music, but I mostly listen in the 70-80db range with headphones.
Thanks :) And in terms of price, with headphones like Fidelio X2 and Jubilee 58x available for 150 dollars, do you think in all honestly the Shure is worth its retail price? I'm talking over 400 euros here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back