Shure SRH1540 Review
Nov 27, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #2,596 of 2,678
My almost 3 year old 1540’s with a Silver Dragon cable. A match made in heaven!
I have 4.4mm balanced cables by LQI Cables. I love the SRH1540 headphones balanced from my Sony NW-WM1Z and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. I am sure the Dragon cables are phenomenal too.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2,597 of 2,678
I have these headphones and love them, but I broke them by doing something stupid and now I'm debating whether I should pay $270 to get them fixed or try something else. Anyone have any opinions on these VS the DCA Aeon Closed X? The only real issue I have with the Shures is the aggressive mid-bass bump which makes them sound a bit bloated. It doesn't seem like the Aeons have that issue and they might be better for me due to the planar drivers as I primarily listen to trance and EDM. Anyone have an opinion on these two?
I have and truly like the DCA Closed X. I think you would like them, but you really need to listen. If you can, either try/buy them from a brick and mortar store that will let you return them, or buy from Amazon and make use of their return policy if necessary.

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #2,598 of 2,678
I have and truly like the DCA Closed X. I think you would like them, but you really need to listen. If you can, either try/buy them from a brick and mortar store that will let you return them, or buy from Amazon and make use of their return policy if necessary.
Unfortunately, I live in the sticks and there's nowhere I can go to try Hi-Fi equipment. I was going to try the Drop version, but their return policy states the headphones have to be returned new and unopened. So I'm basically stuck with them whether I like them or not.

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #2,599 of 2,678
Hello friends! According to the frequency response charts, it can be seen that there should be a lot of bass, but I have it slightly below average. Maybe there's something wrong with the headphones? Shure 1540

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #2,600 of 2,678
Hello friends! According to the frequency response charts, it can be seen that there should be a lot of bass, but I have it slightly below average. Maybe there's something wrong with the headphones? Shure 1540
Give your ears time to adjust to the new sound profile and try to listen on lower volumes. In a day or two you will hear the differences.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #2,602 of 2,678
I have had them for a long time, I only listen to them. Want more bass. Does anyone know where the bass is more in the dt770pro 250 or shure1540?

I have Brainwavez sheepskin pads on mine, and bass is improved without detracting from the midrange. A must-have in my opinion.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #2,603 of 2,678
I just got my new LQI Cables, balanced cables. The Shure connectors are the tightest, most secure aftermarket cable connection yet experienced. I love LQI! Black and red looks stunning. 20230222_175626.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #2,605 of 2,678
Boring headphones, got rid of them. Good for those who like a neutral sound with slightly increased bass
You could try Sony MDR-Z1R. I stayed away from the Sony flagship, because I thought the bass would be too boosted.

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #2,606 of 2,678
I have Brainwavez sheepskin pads on mine, and bass is improved without detracting from the midrange. A must-have in my opinion.
That wasn't enough for me to keep them in the end though the pads were a good deal for the buyer
Mind you I had replaced with with things that were more than double the price: Audeze LCD-X and Focal Clear Mg

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #2,607 of 2,678
So at the SF meet I heard a lot of high-end open and closed headphones for the first time and recalled my 1540s kept up with almost all of them, but it was not the most ideal environment for comparisons. Today I stopped at a local retailer and pitted my 1540s against the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XCs using a variety of sources. The 1540s went toe-to-toe on absolutely everything. The open X's were a bit wider in soundstage, but as far as closed the 1540s are simply endgame. Considering open headphones, only ultra-nosebleed-expensive Stax setups at the meet were noticeably better than everything else. ($10k for a Stax SR-009 and a Blue Hawaii amp!) I am curious now to hear what the open Shure 1840s sound like, but open backs are not really practical for me.

I would consider the Alpha Dogs I heard at the meet to be comparable to the 1540s for a similar price, so that's a definite alternative for people to consider.
My Shure SRH1540 headphones are the only pair I have had from the start. They sound their absolute best from my Sony NW-WM1Z, balanced.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #2,608 of 2,678
Changed some cheap ass RCA to RCA cables (topping>>atom) for more high quality RCA to TRS.....maybe I'm imaging things, but sound is smoother now, less harsh.

Update:
Well, I'll be damned, never thought cables could make such a difference. Now I'm 90% positive that sound turned from harsh and ear piercing to smooth and laid back.
So, now I need one more night to revisit my initial impressions :)
You should also try tweaking your software player. Try Playpcmwin.

Apr 13, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #2,609 of 2,678
Apr 13, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #2,610 of 2,678

Users who are viewing this thread

Back