Shure SRH1540 Review
Nov 26, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,471 of 2,678
  Do you still have your MSR7? I was really interested in them, but ended up settling on the Shure. I was told that the MSR7 would be great for the type of music I listen to (metal).

No, I sold them recently.

I think they're very good, especially at their price point.
If not for their tight clamping, I probably would have just
kept them and never bothered looking further for a closed
headphone.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Shure's are a more
complete sounding and more dynamic headphone.
More air with a larger and truer soundstage as well.
Not to mention much more comfortable, at least for me. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,472 of 2,678
A big part of the comfort issue for me is the shape of the pads. Oval is the way to go, especially if you have long ears. I hate my lobes being squished. The entire Beyer (full size) line uses round cups, as do so many others. That's why I finally sold (reluctantly) my 990s. My main go-to cans are now the Senn HD600s and the Shure 1540s; both have nicely shaped oval cups. For portable on-ear, I have the Beyer 1350s. Sonically, the "shouty" quality seems to have diminished on the Shures. That has been the most troubling aspect to their AQ for me. I'm probably just getting used to it, but when I A/B with my other cans, it really does seem to have calmed down.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,473 of 2,678
Anyone have a spare pair of 1540 alcantara pads they'd like to sell? Please pm me with your offer, if so. Thanks

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #1,474 of 2,678

Some people have expressed the discomfort of the thin band padding on the head for the 1540.  I solved this by buying a generic cloth headphone pad on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L61YYXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

It is only about 10 bucks and reduces the fatigue greatly.  It also some how manages to give me a better seal (not sure how.why). But I get a better overall fit.  It is not super bulky so it wont cause the headphone to become too small for those who have bigger heads.  Plus I actually think it looks pretty good on these headphones!

On a side note using these through the Fiio X1+ Fiio e17 (amp function only) as shown in the above image sounds great. Impressive detail retrieval and the sub bass gains more depth, but is very well controlled.  It is hard to explain.  It is like a weighty sound that has lots of space? I realize how contradictory that sounds!

I like that, I just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up.

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,475 of 2,678
Can anyone here compare these to the TH-X00 ?

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,478 of 2,678
  Can anyone here compare these to the TH-X00 ?

@Dsnuts can! 
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #1,479 of 2,678
Impressive cans. Very comfortable, nicely built and they sound sublime. The upper mids are so sweet, (I listen to a lot of jazz) and I've never heard Nora Jones sound so good. The tuning, certainly not neutral, is enhanced just enough to make them fun, while to my ears, maintain impressive clarity. Needless to say I'm very pleased. 
beyersmile.png

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,481 of 2,678
I settled on a pair of PSB m4u2's and Blue mofi's. Still cheaper than a pair of overpriced 1540's.

PSBs are nice. My buddy bigro has a pair. What will you do about your user name?
deadhorse.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #1,482 of 2,678
Hello,

After having read all of those pages, I've decided to order a 1540. I'm going to receive it in 2 or 3 days.
Already having a senn momentum (v1, wired. I do not really like it. It's the over ear version but I find it small) and a HD600 - which I really love but it's open and I wanted a good closed companion to it.

I'm pretty sure I'll love the 1540.

I'm going to use my new 1540 for: listening music from my macbookpro & sometimes from my av receiver (a cambridge azur 551r V2) when watching movies (my home theater is installed in my bedroom and from time to time I have to use headphones to keep the environment quiet).

and, well, I've a question... :)

I'm totally noob about this stuff: do you think I need a dac and/or an amp in order to get the best of the 1540?
Does a dac will really enhance the sound of the shure headphones when using with my mbook pro?
Does a headphone amp will make a big difference from only using the headphone output of my av receiver? (I've read that headphones output on av receiver are poor quality)?

Thanks in advance! :)

Dorian 

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #1,483 of 2,678
I'd say, yes, you will be able to listen from your computer, but yes, it will sound better with a better dac and a better amp. And the better the amp and dac are, the more the improvement will be.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,484 of 2,678
Hello,

After having read all of those pages, I've decided to order a 1540. I'm going to receive it in 2 or 3 days.

Already having a senn momentum (v1, wired. I do not really like it. It's the over ear version but I find it small) and a HD600 - which I really love but it's open and I wanted a good closed companion to it.

I'm pretty sure I'll love the 1540.

I'm going to use my new 1540 for: listening music from my macbookpro & sometimes from my av receiver (a cambridge azur 551r V2) when watching movies (my home theater is installed in my bedroom and from time to time I have to use headphones to keep the environment quiet).

and, well, I've a question... :)

I'm totally noob about this stuff: do you think I need a dac and/or an amp in order to get the best of the 1540?

Does a dac will really enhance the sound of the shure headphones when using with my mbook pro?

Does a headphone amp will make a big difference from only using the headphone output of my av receiver? (I've read that headphones output on av receiver are poor quality)?

Thanks in advance! :)

Dorian 

I have the 1540's and they're outstanding...Can't believe how little recognition they receive. I'd highly recommend an amp to get the most out of them...I have a JDS labs element for home use & love it...I'd also look at an Apogee groove. Hope that helps :wink:...You're going to love them!

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,485 of 2,678
I have the 1540's and they're outstanding...Can't believe how little recognition they receive. I'd highly recommend an amp to get the most out of them...I have a JDS labs element for home use & love it...I'd also look at an Apogee groove. Hope that helps :wink:...You're going to love them!

The 1540's IMO are great closed headphones.

They sound terrific and are immensely comfortable.

Expensive, but well worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back