Shure SRH1540 Review
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,456 of 2,678
I just picked up a pair of SRH1540s, and I was worried because I have a large head, but they fit just fine. Being bald probably helps. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The cable is too short for my needs though. Can anyone suggest a longer replacement cable that won't cost an arm and a leg? I see a lot of cables on ebay from Chinese sellers, has anyone tried those?

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,457 of 2,678
  I just picked up a pair of SRH1540s, and I was worried because I have a large head, but they fit just fine. Being bald probably helps. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The cable is too short for my needs though. Can anyone suggest a longer replacement cable that won't cost an arm and a leg? I see a lot of cables on ebay from Chinese sellers, has anyone tried those?

Try an extension cable like these: http://www.amazon.com/Mogami-Balanced-Connecting-Neutrik-Rean-Connectors/dp/B00Y7Z0PRC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1446685963&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=3.5mm+extension+cable+mogami

The magami quad is actually better than the cable material used for the 1540, so it won't really worsen the sound(I would pay a million dollars to anyone that can actually distinguish the difference).

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,458 of 2,678
I just picked up a pair of SRH1540s, and I was worried because I have a large head, but they fit just fine. Being bald probably helps. :veryevil:

I haven't specifically tried the 1540 cable but I have ordered many other types of cables and they've always been good quality considering the price. Another option is to just buy an extension cable which you should be able to find locally.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,459 of 2,678
  Try an extension cable like these: http://www.amazon.com/Mogami-Balanced-Connecting-Neutrik-Rean-Connectors/dp/B00Y7Z0PRC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1446685963&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=3.5mm+extension+cable+mogami

The magami quad is actually better than the cable material used for the 1540, so it won't really worsen the sound(I would pay a million dollars to anyone that can actually distinguish the difference).

The Mogami Quad 2593 Neglex Quad is very good cable, used in many professional applications.
But their 2549 is, in theory at least (based on measurements) a better sounding cable at
about the same price.  Still, though, the perceptible audible differences are vanishingly small
if they even exist.  (Certainly the Quad cable will be more heavily shielded and in that regard
could be more useful in your situation.)

For the "golden ears", go with Canare (made in Japan as is Mogami) or Gotham 3
(a very highly regarded cable made in Switzerland).

They're all available at redco.com and other high quality dealers.

edit: clarified shielding issue

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #1,460 of 2,678
Actually, these:

http://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Headphone-Extension-Neutrik-Rean-Connector/dp/B00Y7ZNOO8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446687816&sr=1-5&keywords=3.5mm+extension+cable+mogami

Sorry, the other link I posted was for 3.5mm interconnect.

On the other hand, I have a Mogami cable, and am as satisfied as I am with higher end furutech cables(about 3 times the cost of Mogami cables).

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #1,461 of 2,678
I just remembered that I had a 15' Canare headphone extension cable in my closet. I seem to remember it degrading the sound when using with another pair of headphones, but I can't tell a perceptible difference with the Shures.

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,462 of 2,678
  I just remembered that I had a 15' Canare headphone extension cable in my closet. I seem to remember it degrading the sound when using with another pair of headphones, but I can't tell a perceptible difference with the Shures.

IMO 15' is a touch long for an extension cable of this type; I'd
keep it 10' and under.  And Canare, obviously, makes several
grades of cable.  The L-2T2S balanced is a very good sounding
cable for use as a headphone extension.  I would stay away from
the heavily shielded "star quad" cables unless the shielding is
absolutely necessary.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,463 of 2,678
I have a jumbo head. Hats seldom fit me, etc. The 1540s are just about right. I do have to nudge them a bit on occasion. Also, my head kind of peaks toward the back on top. If I tried to place the headband right on that peak, these things would NOT fit. If I rotate the band forward to the slightly flatter part of my head and extend the sliders all the way...bingo.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #1,466 of 2,678
I was a little worried about all the comments on how bassy these are, but I feel it is done tastefully. U shaped curve does make it seem to draw attention from mids though. I knew that getting these the mids would be recessed, and I feel like the mids are a little lacking in body (again I knew to expect this and am fine with it), but in return I'm loving the soundstage and imaging for a closed back pair of headphones. Not perfect, but I do love these headphones.. Also, very comfortable! I'll enjoy playing with EQ/pads/amps to get the most out of these. I got a brand new pair for $420, but I find myself wishing I bought an open box/used pair for a little less money as I'm not entirely comfortable with the price. Accessories are great..

Edit: After a great few days enjoying these headphones, I guess I must've listened to too many vocal-strong songs as those thin/dry (to my ears) are starting to cause some serious auditory fatigue in my ears: ears feel/sound congested and extremely thin with a very slight ringing. I've been listening at moderate/low volumes with low clamping, so I believe the sound to be the issue. I suppose I have to find a different setup soon to fix this or I'll have no choice but to sell, which is unfortunate as I these are only problems for me, although it is a huge one..

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #1,467 of 2,678
  I was a little worried about all the comments on how bassy these are, but I feel it is done tastefully. U shaped curve does make it seem to draw attention from mids though. I knew that getting these the mids would be recessed, and I feel like the mids are a little lacking in body (again I knew to expect this and am fine with it), but in return I'm loving the soundstage and imaging for a closed back pair of headphones. Not perfect, but I do love these headphones.. Also, very comfortable! I'll enjoy playing with EQ/pads/amps to get the most out of these. I got a brand new pair for $420, but I find myself wishing I bought an open box/used pair for a little less money as I'm not entirely comfortable with the price. Accessories are great..

Edit: After a great few days enjoying these headphones, I guess I must've listened to too many vocal-strong songs as those thin/dry (to my ears) are starting to cause some serious auditory fatigue in my ears: ears feel/sound congested and extremely thin with a very slight ringing. I've been listening at moderate/low volumes with low clamping, so I believe the sound to be the issue. I suppose I have to find a different setup soon to fix this or I'll have no choice but to sell, which is unfortunate as I these are only problems for me, although it is a huge one..

Sorry to hear that.  What are your sources, DAC & amp?

Anyway, like most headphones, some will like them more than others.
I personally think they're pretty terrific.  Listened to them for
most of the afternoon today continuously - even had a little snooze
at one point. 

Was looking for closed headphones for a long time and listened
to many.  These were pretty much the best I found without
spending even more.
eek.gif
  I like the Audio Technica msr7
quite a bit, and owned them for a while,  but these jump
all over them IMO. 

And, FWIW, the reviews - moreso even in the UK than in
the US - are stunning.  Tyll Herstsens did an interestng
video review and put them on his "Wall of Fame".

I didn't much like the SR840, and the 940 even less,
but I do think these are very good indeed.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #1,468 of 2,678

at one point. 

spending even more.
eek.gif
all over them IMO. 

I'm just running a Fiio e17 out of my computer. I think it has less to do with the headphones, perhaps the clamping force (not used to it) and the loud volumes combined with day long sessions started giving me almost mild tinnitus..? Anyways I took a break and put the music back to normal listening levels, all is fine now. I realize that 'searching' for that ringing noise is very bad, and I should be training myself to ignore it.I guess I just went crazy my first week. Don't think I'll be parting with these anytime soon :) 

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,469 of 2,678
  I have a jumbo head. Hats seldom fit me, etc. The 1540s are just about right. I do have to nudge them a bit on occasion. Also, my head kind of peaks toward the back on top. If I tried to place the headband right on that peak, these things would NOT fit. If I rotate the band forward to the slightly flatter part of my head and extend the sliders all the way...bingo.

same case with me. Still, it shud not have been the case, especially for the flagship. 

Beyer premium line of headphones(DT880, 990) also doesn't fit my head comfortably, while DT770 Pro has no such problems

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #1,470 of 2,678

at one point. 

spending even more.
eek.gif
all over them IMO. 

Do you still have your MSR7? I was really interested in them, but ended up settling on the Shure. I was told that the MSR7 would be great for the type of music I listen to (metal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back