Shure SRH1540 Review
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #1,441 of 2,678
adjustment on these is so small. These wont fit my head
triportsad.gif

any one know if there is a way to increase the length of adjusters?

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,442 of 2,678
adjustment on these is so small. These wont fit my head :triportsad:

any one know if there is a way to increase the length of adjusters?

Yeh I had the same issue, the headband itself is quite wide out of the box, I actually bent the top part of the headband into more of V shape which seemed to improve the fit a bit. I also squashed the headband padding down as much as I could to get a little more reach. Ultimately there was nothing I could do to get a perfect fit so I sold it in the end.if not for the small fit it would be the perfect closed can for my home listening.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,443 of 2,678
Yeh I had the same issue, the headband itself is quite wide out of the box, I actually bent the top part of the headband into more of V shape which seemed to improve the fit a bit. I also squashed the headband padding down as much as I could to get a little more reach. Ultimately there was nothing I could do to get a perfect fit so I sold it in the end.if not for the small fit it would be the perfect closed can for my home listening.

Thanks for confirming. Its kind of sad, that a company makes their TOTL headphone and it wont fit large heads. My $30 sennheiser fits me fine :wink:

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,444 of 2,678
Thanks for confirming. Its kind of sad, that a company makes their TOTL headphone and it wont fit large heads. My $30 sennheiser fits me fine :wink:

Yeh it is sad, two of my favourite headphones the shure 1540 and Nad hp50 aren't useable due to their smaller fit. When it comes to supporting large heads I find the German manufacturers do it best, Yamaha is also good in that area as well.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,445 of 2,678
This is kind of interesting, as I have a small head, need to keep all headphones at smallest setting, and I find the smallest setting on these barely fits...

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,447 of 2,678
I have a really big head, here are my experiences:

- NAD Visos fit pretty easily
- M80 is just too small
- M100 barely fits at full extension - with a cap on, difficult
- 1st gen Momentums, no problems.. Don't need full extension

These Shures are interesting, are they smaller than those?

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,448 of 2,678

- M80 is just too small

I don't own anyone of those headphones.
As a reference, DT770 Pro 250Ohm fits my head comfortably couple notches below max extension

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,451 of 2,678
Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HP50 is an awesome sounding headphone. It sure has a really high quality sound for a closed back and is in many ways sounds close to the best headphones there are. In terms of resolution, refinement and tonal balance I find them to be among the best headphones I've ever heard. The mids on the HP50 are fantastic and vocals are among the best I've heard on headphones - very close to the midrange performance of the Sennheiser HD600/650. With that being said, I do find the SRH1540 to be a step up from the HP50 in overall sound quality. The tonal balance on the Shures suffers a bit compared to HP50 due to that excessive sub bass boost IMO, but the Shures have a noticeable edge over HP50 in separation, sense of space and overall clarity, as well as tonal balance from the mid bass on up. HP50 is clear with excellent resolution, but doesn't sound very spacious to my ears - just OK and perhaps better than average for a closed back headphone. I think the main issue with HP50 is the emphasis on upper bass and lower mids which I find somewhat excessive. I think that it makes the HP50 sound overly bloomy (bloomy, not boomy!) or chesty, somewhat too forward and congested. SRH1540 gives sounds a more appropriate sense of distance and space to my ears, free of congestion that can sometimes plague the HP50. Or perhaps this is just due to somewhat high quality, more resolving drivers in the SRH1540. Not sure about that. I find the mids on the SRH1540 to also be more resolving than those of the HP50 in terms of micro detail retrieval, even though HP50 is no slouch in midrange performance at all.

I received my SRH-1540 yesterday and also own the HP50 and my thoughts mirror yours exactly.  The HP50 is very impressive but it definitely has an upper-bass hump that muddies the waters on certain songs. 

The SRH-1540 is clean from top to bottom with a satisfying, yet tight bass response.  I also find the vocals more impressive and life-like on the 1540.  Of course, there is a price difference here and you run into the law of diminishing returns, but I'm quite happy with the 1540 so far.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,452 of 2,678
Same thing I noticed with the HP50, good sounding for the money, but as with all "portable" headphones the soundstage on it feels like it is small but artificially made to sound bigger, whereas the 1540 are physically bigger and sound bigger as well.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,453 of 2,678

- M80 is just too small

I have a large head too, the 1st gen momentums fit me at max extension but the hp50s earcups did not fit over my ears properly at full extension. The 1540 wasn't quite as bad the hp50s, the earcups would fit over my ears if I firmly pulled them down however this created a lot more headband pressure and unfortunately the 1540 does not have the best headband design or padding. It sounds like you will be fine, the 1540 sound fantastic and would be my closed back of choice if only they fit me better.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,454 of 2,678
I have a large head too, the 1st gen momentums fit me at max extension but the hp50s earcups did not fit over my ears properly at full extension. The 1540 wasn't quite as bad the hp50s, the earcups would fit over my ears if I firmly pulled them down however this created a lot more headband pressure and unfortunately the 1540 does not have the best headband design or padding. It sounds like you will be fine, the 1540 sound fantastic and would be my closed back of choice if only they fit me better.

Thanks for the response! I'm still thinking about the Shures, even though I just got the Focal Spirit Pro's :)

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,455 of 2,678
Thanks for the response! I'm still thinking about the Shures, even though I just got the Focal Spirit Pro's :)

The spirit pros are quite good sounding however not that comfortable for those with larger ears. I would say they're not quite as good as the 1540 when it comes to audio quality and musical enjoyment but for their price they are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back